Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Vs Joiner

Table Saw Vs Joiner

Hello everyone. I'm wondering what your guys and gals option would be on something.

I have some Money to spend, and i'm trying to decided on what I should get next, I'm thinking of upgrading my table saw, or buying a joiner. I'm not sure if its a better investment to upgrade my table saw or buy a joiner.

Which would you do if you already had a table saw, but wasn't the best, would you upgrade that ? or Buy a joiner to componsate for the Table saw ?

I have about 1k to work with. and unfortually 220 will not be a good option, to get 220 to the workshop (which is a detached garage) it would require removing a cement slab to run new conduit to the garage, which is a little more money then i'm willing to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Smi
    Which would you do if you already had a table saw, but wasn't the best, would you upgrade that ? or Buy a joiner to componsate for the Table saw ?
    It depends on what you build, and what you have.

If you mostly use sheet-goods, get a TS. If you use a lot of hardwood, then a jointer is nice. Have you got a planer? Personally I bought a planer before I bought a jointer.

And "wasn't the best" is a bit vague. What problems are you having with your TS? Have you built a cross-cut sled? For me, that went a long way to improving the usefulness of my first Table Saw. So maybe you can just tune up the saw you have.

hope this is some help.
    ...art
    "It's Not About You."

Welcome to the creek, Jeff.

I'm assuming you mean "jointer", not "joiner". A jointer will not compensate for a bad table saw. They mostly perform two separate functions. You didn't say what type of table saw you have but a new blade and a good fence may make a great improvement. Then, you could look at buying some new equipment. You could get a decent 6" jointer and lunchbox planer for around $1K. If you're patient or look for used, less than that. I got a Delta X5 6" jointer new for ~$325 and a DeWalt 13" refurbished planer for $335. Granted, those were great deals but they can be done.

Describe your tablesaw & maybe provide a picture & we may be able to provide better help

A little more info about the current set of tools you have and the type of work you do would be helpful to correctly answer your question.

Most of the time we would say a table saw but if you already have a contractors saw, maybe a few $ in upgrades might be fine and they you will have enough to buy a jointer and planer if you done have either one.

By the way, for most of us, planing and jointing go together so getting one without the other may not be as desirable.

I use my table saw for edge joining. That said my next major tool will be an 8" joiner. I have a jet contractor saw and with all of the fixtures and jigs I have mad eit does what I need.

Jeff
    What kind of TS do you have now ?
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

My initial thought would be to upgrade your table saw since for most it is the cornerstone of the shop. However, since 220v isn't an option I would probably strongly consider the jointer.

What type of saw do you have now?

Assuming your TS will tackle most of the tasks at hand, the jointer will give you capabilities that you don't currently have. A jointer used in conjuction with a planer and TS will give you flat square stock at the beginning of every project.

Now, if you don't have a planer, I'd get a jointer and a planer with the $1k.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

9. me, too! i've a horrible TS but would find it more useful to have a jointer and planer than a nicer ts. and fwiw: be patient and buy used. I recently saw a robland 12" combo jointer/planer for only $1000 locally.

Thanks for the quick reponse. I have a 10' Skil contractor table saw. The primary concerns of the saw are

A. the rip fence is only 12' to the right of the blade. There doens't appear to be any upgrade for the Rip fence.

B. the Milter gauge slot is 5/8" I believe this is a none-standard size for a milter gauge slot ? Arn't most of them 3/4 ?

I've primary dealt with sheet goods, making what rough cuts i can with a straight edge and a circular saw. and then finishing the cuts on the table saw.

I've dabbeled in wood working for awhile, but I havn't really came to what I Enjoy making the most.

I would invest in the Table Saw, by the sounds of it you need to upgrade there and then think about a jointer later.

Go to Grizzy.com and get both !!! I love them.

Ben
    Still trying not to Take Life so Seriously !!

13. I was leaning toward the jointer because there isn't much difference in how one table saw cuts wood from another. I have a cabient saw and sold my contractors saw. I love it but when you get down to the practial side, it doesn't cut the wood any better than my contractors saw did. It's just nicer to use. However after reading your post I think I would say you need a good tablesaw to start with.

Remember you don't have to buy a new one. There are many used one's out there. Just be patient and the right one will come along. Table saws are rather simple tools and (most) are fairly easy to repair if they need some attention. With a $1000 to spend you should be able to find a nice TS and a Jointer or planner . If you really careful and patient you might squeeze out all three.

I was thinking of a Delta Hybrid saw. What are the disadvantages to Hybrid saw, vs a full blown cabient saw ? I'm by no means a professional woodworker, so I don't think a uni-saw is something I need. I'm unfortually limited to 110, there isn't any easy way to getting 220 to the shop without alot of $$$

. OR would it be a better option to get a Good quality contractor saw ?

the list Of needs/wants are

A. Atleast a 30' fence

B. Being able to make atleast a 1/2 dado (current saw is limited to 1/4)

C. 110, but upgradable to 220 if I do get 220.

Get a Dewalt 746

Get a Dewalt 746, it's an excellent saw and it can run on both 110 or 220.
    As far as choosing between a better table saw or a jointer, I would go with a better table saw first.

Good luck with your decision.