Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to replace my Uni already and maybe I want to get a thickness sander?......

I need to replace my Uni already and maybe I want to get a thickness sander?......

My recently purchased 4 year old Uni is fine, teriffic and a very welcome upgrade from my Ridgid. However, I've now cut a few 45's on some 3/4" plywood pieces and I didn't like the experience AT ALL! It's a right-tilt and my last saw was a left-tilt. When I got done with a couple of pieces I realized that I was very nervous about making those cuts. I'm not looking forward to ripping 45's on my face frame material.

So, since I'm FINALLY and unexpectedly getting some money that my ex was supposed to turn over to me 5 years ago, I thought I'd splurge and get a left-tilt saw and/or a thickness sander.

I've been thinking about the quality of the Uni and it's popularity lately and I was wondering.....What is a step up from the Uni? It's been around forever, it's a favorite of a large chunk of the WWing universe, and it has a reliable reputation year after year, right? Should I just get a left-tilt Uni or step up? What is a step up from a Unisaw? Is the next step one of the PM's or the Sawstop that we've been reading a lot about recently?

Thickness sander.........I worry pretty intensely (for my experience level ) about my set-up on my router table so my cope-and-stick joints come out pretty good but they still need a little sanding most of the time, and sometimes a lot of sanding. (I'm anxious to see how my new Porter Cable 7518, Woodpecker PRL, Incra LS Super system combo works out for my doors on my current cabinet project.) Anyway, I very rarely make any doors over 18" wide so I'd be looking at a 20" sander but I know NOTHING about buying and/or using a thickness sander other than the difference between it and a thickness planer. Your opinions and suggestions on a sander please?

Thanks very much for your opinions and advice.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Mark,
    If I was going up from a uni, I'd take a serious look at the sawstop.

No connection have I.

Ken

Keep the Uni, get yourself a Bies splitter, and then get the sander.

The Bies splitter is about $100. You don't have to worry as much about kick-back with it.

I am thinking about the SS Ken, thanks.

Barry, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear; I"m not worried about kickback per se, I don't like the whole experience of ripping at an angle with the material under the blade and the finish of the cut that I get. I find that I need to learn new cutting techniques for using the right-tilt. I'd rather get a left-tilt and be comfortable while I'm cutting the angle cuts and be happy. I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting the sander as well though since I can see a need for it in my work plan. I just need to find a way to fit it in my mobile shop/trailer. Maybe I need to go buy that 8 x 24'er that I've been eyeing.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 11-17-2006 at 1:13 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Mark, if your only concern with the current saw is bevel-ripping, you could:

Move the fence to the left of the blade, or
    Use hold-down wheels or a stock feeder, or
    Rip on a bandsaw, or
    Something else I haven't thought of

I wouldn't base the decison to replace your saw entirely on one cutting operation.

Then again, if you want to upgrade, I think the SawStop would be a logical next step.

Rip to the left of the blade and get a drum sander.

My vote: SawStop

See the thread Cabinet Saw Advice sought thread for lots of civilized discussion on the top 3 saws that would be considered an upgrade from the Uni.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45881

My vote is also the sawstop. Even if it didn't have that great saftey break, it's still an amazing saw that I would probably spring for.

Now if I could only get them to give me one to eval it here, that would be the ticket... ;-)

Michael

9. A more economical solution for a Unisaw may be the removable splitter that is a part of the overhead Uniguard assembly and works wonderfully. I bought one from a Delta service center when I lived in Charlotte NC; its Delta part number 1349941 and as I recall it cost about $25 or so, it works really well for me. It's designed to fit in place of the splitter guard assembly that comes with the saw, and has a knurled knob for quick removal for dado use, etc. It has anti kickback pawls as well.

RN

I cannot speak for the saw stop but I do like my PM66. It is a left tilt and the table top is superb. It is also made in the USA.

Have you considered a Euro-style slider? While I don't have one (yet), the idea of the slider moving the workpiece past the blade is appealing. This set-up would keep both hands and the offcut away from the angled blade. These machines are available both with and without the outrigger for large pieces, which does most of the work.
    Just another thought to muddy the waters.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Mark, I usually work from the left side of the blade when doing angle cuts. I think it is just a matter of getting comfortable with it.
    If somebody stole (God forbid!) my Unisaw I would take a serious look at the PM 2000 or the Saw Stop. As far as sanders go, I’ve been happy with my Delta 18/36
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I am in the same situation now because I am making replacement cabinet doors & drawers with beveled edges for the apartments that we manage.

The old cabinets are chipboard with wood grain vinyl overlay. The vinyl is peeling off. So I came up with the fix of wood grained laminate over 5/8" plywood with the edges & back painted dark to match the existing doors & drawers.

This way I don't have to replace all the cabinets or doors & drawers in 56 apartments.

I am working on a plan for a sled with a removable stop so I can cut the plywood just a little over-sized & put the laminate on & then put it on the sled with a 90 degree stop cut the first bevel then put in a beveled stop flip the door around & cut the other side. All this will be on the left side of my right tilt Unisaw.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

consider moving both wings to the left and using the Uni as an opposite the fence tilt saw is one option.

PM66, PM2000, Sawstop are the current leaders in the cabinet saw realm

Stepping up into Euro sliders opens a whole new realm.

Sanders? Many schools of thought... open end, closed end, drum, wide belt. It's a matter of $$$. One item in your post though, thickness sander. A thicknesser (or thickness sander) is generally an industrial class machine with wide belt sanding capability (as well as a whole lot of power to spare). I own a performax 22-44ST and use it often. I'm pleased with the performance of my sander, but it is NOT a thicknesser.

When I get into my new shop someday I will be trading the 22-44 in for a 15" open end wide belt. Completely different class of machine.

Mike

Use a router???

Why not rout the bevel on your router table???

-jj