Thread: Rockwell 46-450 value?

Rockwell 46-450 value?

Hey All,

Can someone tell me what they think a fair price range for one of these beasts is? 12 inch swing, 16.5" in the gap, 38" centers, 1HP 3 phase motor, in excellent condition? I'm thinking ~$500.

It'll cost you afew $$ for a new 1 phase motor or a phase converter. An inverter (VFD) would be my choice. You can pick one up for $150.oo that will convert 1 Phase to 3 Phase. The market around here for that lathe is around $650 so I'd offer $300.

I just did some browsing around some of the evil auction sites, and I'd have to agree with Don....offer low. But I was thinking about that horsepower. Seems like 1 horsepower will probably not seem like enough umph for a large piece if you were to try and max out the swing eventually. I know my 2HP gets angry at me when I try to put something really big on it.

just some random mindless thoughts...
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Good stuff -- thanks for the input. I'll throw a low-ball out there and see what happens. It looks like with a static phase inverter I'd lose about 1/3 HP also. That brings it down quite a bit. What would a compatible single phase motor cost? Same price range?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Cam
    ....What would a compatible single phase motor cost? Same price range?
    In my humble opinion...this is where flea markets come in handy. I got a 1 HP motor for $10 a couple of years ago. Works great. But you gotta look around.
    ~john

Specs

Is the spindle size of electric motors (and whatever other specs I'm ignorant of) fairly standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Cam
    Is the spindle size of electric motors (and whatever other specs I'm ignorant of) fairly standard?
    Yup...they meet standards but there's a wide spectrum of sizes within those standards. Chances are, your existing pulley hole will not fit a motor found at a flea market. A new pulley will run you about $20 for a good one. We have a pulley shop here in town and I just bought a heavy duty precision 3 grooved pulley for $32. I'd be willing to help you out in that regard.
    ~john

Alex,

If you have 220 Volts in your shop, I would suggest you look into a variable speed invertor. One for the 1HP are about $120.00 and come with a free potentiometer to make it variable speed. I know Drives Warehouse in Texas handles a Hitachi that does this.

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Privett; 11-18-2006 at 8:44 AM.