Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jessem Sliding Table On A Sawstop?

Jessem Sliding Table On A Sawstop?

Hello, all. I was wondering if anyone has looked into mounting a Jessem MasterSlide on their Sawstop? According to the info I've found, the slider is designed to be used with saws that have a 27" to 28" deep table, but the Sawstop's table is 30". Any idea how this might complicate installation or affect the function of the slider? Thanks for any insight.

Greg,

Do you have a Woodcraft in your area? The one by me carries both the Jessem and the Sawstop. They should know if it will fit.

Lou, yes there's a Woodcraft not too far away. Thanks for the tip. I'll check with them.

I have both....

I have both - my SawStop and my Jessem Slider fit together perfectly and work great. It took a total of 25 minutes from box to using it! For me, no drilling, no modifications; it was a piece of cake.
    Phil

Phil,
    I thought you had to modify the rails (cut off the left ends), and take off the left wing table. If that is true, you could not have done that in 25 minutes. Could you give us more details on the installation? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Question installed without cutting ?!?

Hi Phil,
    I know your post stated no modifications were necessary, but like Jim M,
    I too would like to know just what was involved with your install.
    Sounds like a terrific upgrade, I hope it serves you well.
    We just want to clarify how to get it done, and that no mods are needed
    that cannot be undone ??

Thanks kindly,
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

SawStop and Jessem Slider pics..

Question was: "sawstop and Jessem
    I am wondering about your setup.

Did you remove the left table extension or just add it to the left. Did you move the rails or was there room.

I am wanting this setup if possible without cutting the rails. Any pictures you can email me?"

Answers: My simple cell-camera with a spotlight pics-sorry...
    1. I removed the left extension--you can leave it on if you want-but the slider will be further away from the blade...With the left extension removed, there has not been an instant when I missed having it. (I did keep it.)
    2. I am using a different fence system--the rails were just moved to the right-but they can be cut if you wish...The SS fence system is very nice-and very solid. (I just liked this fence system better.)

JM:
    3. To slide my two rails, I had to loosen four bolts-and slide...(a few minutes).
    4. To remove the left extension-two or three bolts and it comes right off.
    (a few minutes).

WC:
    5. I did call Jessem first---and they had me worried about the necessary modifications.....For my SawStop and my Jessem Slider--No drilling, No cutting, No reaming holes out.
    6. I just looked again-Three (3) bolts with thick washers hold the Jessem Slider on to my SawStop.
    7. Perhaps 5 minutes to move both rails + 5 minutes to remove to bolts to remove the left extension + 10 minutes to put the Slider together (mine was pretty much assembled in the sealed box from the factory) + 5 minutes to turn three bolts to attach the unit to the SawStop. When I tightened the three bolts-I made it "flush/level" with the SawStop table
    so no adjustment necessary. (I actually remember this quite vividly-my wife called downstairs and asked if I wanted lunch-I said yes. She asked if I would like some solid Albacore Tunafish with chopped Jalapenos and Mayo on Thomas English Muffins -covered with real (block) cheese-toasted and cheese melted. She made this luch that day... I usually make it--get the stuff from the fridge (2 TEM are enough for both my wife and I-makes "four sandwiches halves") and pantry--pull the Thomas English Muffins open; drain the Tuna and put into the bowl; add the Mayo, drain some Jalapenos & then chop them small; slice the cheese; mix the Tuna with the Mayo/Jalapenos/a bit of salt/pepper-and place on the Thomas English Muffins. Place the cheese on top of the Tuna; turn the toast-oven on-let warm up--and then heat until the cheese is nicely browned--this takes 30 minutes at my house! When I was finished installing the Jessem Slider, I washed my hands, got two glasses-ice cubes-and added some water---and grabbed two plates & napkins---the sandwitches were "toasted" to perfection. I actually really like that lunch especially when I get to share it with my wife! ).
    That is it folks!

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Phil,
    Thanks for the lengthy answer and the pics. It looks like having a different rail and fence system makes all the difference in the world. The last time this came up on a forum the woodworker described how he had to cut through the heavy steel rails to shorten the fence. Sounds like with your rails and fence you could simply unbolt and slide them over. I don't see how I could do that with the SawStop fence and rail system.

Jm...

Yes you are correct. I have the Incra 52” TSLS Table Saw Fence system--and the rails just slide over....or you can cut them "like butter" (just Alloy). I really love the Incra system for my SawStop. Only potential draw-back----(I have the largest SawStop Table system) is that the way the system is one can't "store" jtuff on the right middle of your table; or rare occations, one may have to move the "connector" piece between the rails...if the piece is wider than that distance (it opnly takes a few minutes to move it...).
    Phil

Thanks for the post, Phil. Very informative.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone,

Dang, I was gona buy one of those, then my old geezer

talked me out of it. For apparrently unjustified reasons.

So, Santa listen up, you owe me one.

I also have the incra fence, and love it.

At first I held the same opinion that it hindered stacking on the

right side table. No longer. I consider it a saftey feature.

Why is that you might ask?

Well I am a slob and a stacker. The right side of our last saw

looked like a room in the Collier Brothers house.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Something I have been trying to figure out.

When you want to rip stuff, what part of the slider do you have to remove.

Do you remove the Mitre bar or just loosen it and slide it to the left?

The installation looks great.

Thanks for you comment regarding never missing the left extension. That extra left extension was somethiing that really impressed me about the SawStop.

Good Posting !
    Bartee Lamar

Hey..... How come you got a blue fence? Mine is an institutional red color. I like the blue. It would have matched my Jet Blue, and General Green a little better.

Jim.Cutting a solid rail is no big deal. The steel is actually very mild. A hacksaw, or a sawzall can easily do the job. Mine took a little longer than Phil's too install. I put it on a brand new General, and had to install the rails first to measure where I had to cut. The steel box beam is actually harder to cut than the "L" stock. The blade wanted to wander due to the lack of support in the middleof the beam. I wouldn't let this deter you from installing one. They really are a very nice addition.

Bartee. The fence removes easily from the slider by two handscrews to perform rip cuts. It has a mechanical stop to put the fence back to a perfect 90deg to the blade. It takes less than a 30 seconds to remove and install the fence. Jess-Em did a good job with this product. They made sure that it was easy to install, align, configure, reconfigure and use.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-23-2006 at 10:46 AM.

I've been using the Jessem slider on my 1023 griz tablesaw for the last six months and have formed definate opinions about it. I cut off my rail to accomadate it and overall, the set-up is very easy. That said, my overal opinion of the slider is so-so; the problem is that it is very delicate and I'm always having to check for it's 90 degree accuracy because there is always that doubt lingering in my mind if it has shifted out of whack somehow. (and it is VERY easy to shift the fence out of position when pushing wood through).

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Mason
    I've been using the Jessem slider on my 1023 griz tablesaw for the last six months and have formed definate opinions about it. I cut off my rail to accomadate it and overall, the set-up is very easy. That said, my overal opinion of the slider is so-so; the problem is that it is very delicate and I'm always having to check for it's 90 degree accuracy because there is always that doubt lingering in my mind if it has shifted out of whack somehow. (and it is VERY easy to shift the fence out of position when pushing wood through).
    Doug.

I doubled up the stopnut(s) on the left side of the assembly for a very positive stop when repositioning to 90deg. I also found that the slightest amount of sawdust trapped between the fence nut and the stopnut(s) will throw it off. I always check for 90deg to the blade also.