Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antler Pen - First Try

Antler Pen - First Try

I have a buddy that hunts (up in Central Wisconsin). I have been after him to bring me back some antler. I've told him to bring back enough for two pens (one for me and one for him). Yesterday he finally hit pay-dirt. He dropped off two pieces of antler last night. I have plenty for two pens, maybe even a third.

The results are below. The finished picture isn't great, but you get the idea. For the record, I think the black center ring is too jarring aganist the white of the antler (but it's the only kit I had on hand). Once turned, part of it was pure white while other parts were almost pink. I dipped the turned blanks into a maple dye to even things out a bit. That seems to have a nice effect of evening out the color. The pen is sanded/polished to 8,000 MM.

Generally, the antler is similar to turn as Corian. I've heard that it can stink. While there is a unique smell, I wouldn't consider it offensive.

On my next antler pen, I hope to get some 'bark' inclusion. But on this first one, I played it safe and drilled down the center. Thanks. Lars
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lars that turned out to be a beautiful pen. Nice job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice, and I like the black, makes you look at the pen, not always a good thing for everything to match or blend.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

That's a great looking pen Lars. I've got some antler and need to give that a shot.

Lars

Nice job on the pen. It looks very nice. Hope the antler isn't fresh cause its gonna crack. I always season mine for one year.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Quiram
    Lars

Hope the antler isn't fresh cause its gonna crack. I always season mine for one year.

Terry
    Terry, Uh Oh! Fresh? Yesterday this antler was walking around. If it were any fresher the deer would be dizzy. Guess we'll have to see what happens. Thanks for letting me know. Lars

Looks sweet to me too.

great job

Excellent work, I still have to turn an antler pen yet. I got a bunch of antler saved up from my son. Nice job!

corey

Nice job Lars! I like the contrast of black on antler also.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Thumbs up

Looks fine to me. The black is a good accent, don't fret it.
    I don't know why it would crack, you should be OK.
    For a variation, try just turning the ends to fit the bushings and leave the bark alone. You can do it on the lathe and decide if you like the appearance. And/or take off and try in your hand to help decide if it will make a good pen. Or just paritally turn off some of the bark.
    Yer and artist, do wat floats yer stick.

Antler pen

Very nice pen. Just drilled my first antler last night. Yes, definite aroma!! Didn't get enough to get half of the pen, before it came out the side (was trying to drill a tine) so have an idea and once I get it done will post a picture of my "creation" that is still in my mind only! What about finish, HUT wax work?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shively
    Very nice pen. Just drilled my first antler last night. Yes, definite aroma!! Didn't get enough to get half of the pen, before it came out the side (was trying to drill a tine) so have an idea and once I get it done will post a picture of my "creation" that is still in my mind only! What about finish, HUT wax work?
    Was will wear off quickly. Two schools of thought on this. Leave unfinished to take a natural patina from oils in the skin. Not to everyones liking.
    The other is to protect. CA is probably the most successful product for this.

I waxed the above pen. I figure as the wax wears off, the natural patina will develop. The gradual change shouldn't be noticable. I wax my Corian pens too. Lars

Lars, you are saying Corian pens, is that like the man made marble substitute they use on kitchen counter tops? If so, how is that to turn? I might have a source for that and had been wondering about it.

Jon, yes, I'm talking about the plastic counter top material. I can only get my hands on if 1/2" material - not sure if it comes any thicker. I just glue up two pieces with CA (good side to good side). The seam is invisable in most styles (or nearly so). It is a little harder than the arcylic marketed for pens. but it turns very nicely. I get mine from a counter shop around town. While it all turns the same, some of the styles don't look the greatest on small things like pens. I think this is because the pattern can be over whelming in some styles.

I've attached one I recently finished. This one isn't Corian, but is from one of the other manufacturers of solid surface material.

If you've got a source for the material, give it a try, you've got nothing to lose.
    Attached Images Attached Images