Thread: Which mortiser?

Which mortiser?

Hello everyone!
    My sister is being nice this year, she's letting me choose my own X-mas present and the limit is $250. I've been thinking about getting a mortiser for the past 3 months. So I guess now is the time. Anyway, I need some recommendations. Which bench top model within the price range would you guys recommend? I was thinking about the Delta 14-651 and the Shopfox w1671. Amazon has the Delta for $249 with a $50 rebate, which is a very good deal. The Shopfox is $259 with no rebate. Hopefully you guys can decide for me

Thanks,
    Liem

Put the Powermatic PM701 on your list. I got one for $269 minus $50 rebate from Amazon a few weeks ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...201435-7036146

It's availability comes & goes but it looks like it's in your price range. I've only used mine once to test it out but it seems to be very well made. Got the Lee Valley chisels to go with it.

I have the Delta and am happy with it. Prior to this, I used the drill press attachment which worked, but wasn't as easy to use nor as accurate as the dedicated mortiser.

Greg

I have the Shop Fox Leim

Quote Originally Posted by Liem Tran
    Hello everyone!
    My sister is being nice this year, she's letting me choose my own X-mas present and the limit is $250. I've been thinking about getting a mortiser for the past 3 months. So I guess now is the time. Anyway, I need some recommendations. Which bench top model within the price range would you guys recommend? I was thinking about the Delta 14-651 and the Shopfox w1671. Amazon has the Delta for $249 with a $50 rebate, which is a very good deal. The Shopfox is $259 with no rebate. Hopefully you guys can decide for me

Thanks,
    Liem
    It's a very sturdy little machine and works well for me. If you want to see a tutorial, C. John Herbert has one: http://www.cjohnhebert.com/shopfoxmorticer.htm
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

Don't forget Amazon's $25.00 DECOFFER discount. That would bring the Delta down to $174.00. That looks tempting to me - I wish I had a way to justify it at that price.

The DECOFFER discount bumps up to $50 if you get your order total over $300.00. That would be calculated on the pre-rebate price so you only need another 50 on your order to get an additional $25.00 discount.

Mortiser

Liem
    I use a Fisch mortiser, and it comes with three chisels and bits.
    It works quite well.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Multico- used one on Woodcentral

Liem,

One of the finest brands of mortisers on the market is Multico. There's a used one posted in the Classifieds on Woodcentral.

This mortiser has the advantage that you can clamp down the work, and the head moves. This makes a big difference. It'll give the same results as the high-end floor-standing mortisers with the XY tables, like the Powermatic 719. I used a 719 in a class, hands-down nicer than my Jet.

I'd go for the Multico, if it hasn't sold. I don't know what price he's asking, but you should check it out.

Todd

Liem,

I would get one that has a large table and a good method to hold your stock tight against your fence. My third criteria, get the best chisels you can, because the machine is only as good as your chisels.
    I see the new ones out have a cam system to hold stock against fence. Worth checking out IMHO

Gary K.

Liem, I just received and set up my new Steel City Toolworks mortiser and like it a ton. I haven't cut more than a few mortises with it, but the table is large, it has adequate power, comes with chisels, has rollers that clamp the workpiece to the fence but still allow lateral movement. Plus, Steel City Toolworks is offering a $50 rebate offer that you can get off of their website if you purchase (I think) through the end of December. It is regularly priced at $269; I had to pay shipping and tax because I live in NC (I bought it from Woodworker's Supply). You might check it out as well. Many nice features at a reasonable price. Good luck shopping!

Liem,

Just to confuse you even more, I LOVE my Jet. Just make sure it is bolted or clamped to a sturdy table when mortising really hard wood like maple.

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708580-Hor.../dp/B0000223M4

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rabinovitz
    Liem
    I use a Fisch mortiser, and it comes with three chisels and bits.
    It works quite well.
    Daniel
    I picked up this same machine at a workworking show where I could see various makes side by side. The Fisch was about $50. less expensive and in my eyes was more sturdy. Been using it for about 3 months and it does the job nicely.

I have the Jet, too, but I customized it. I took off the cheap little MDF table and installed a big aluminum plate. I then tapped some holes and installed a toggle clamp to push and lock the stock tight against the fence.
    It is like a new machine. 200% better!!!

Gary K.

A bit more confuse

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I started out with 2 mortiser in mind, now I have 4 in mind. Thanks alot!
    I did check out the Steel City mortiser on their website awhile back. I wanted to go ahead and make the purchase but I couldn't find any reviews on it so I held back. Now that one of the members here have tried it and like it, I guess I'll give it a shot too. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll post some pics and a review when I get it.

Thanks,
    Liem

I have the Jet, but only because when I was in the market for one, Menards had it on sale for less than $200. I wish I would have gotten a better one though, it's too light weight, moves too much when using it...

I would rather have spent more for the General or Powermatic, or even the Fisch or Delta...

My two cents...

If you mount your mortiser to a piece of plywood, you can clamp the plywood to a table so it won't move.
    Gary K.