Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firestorm Tools

Blog Entries

Firestorm Tools

Does any one have any experience with the Firestorm brand tools sold by Lowes??? My son in law wants to get a jig saw (sabre saw) and was looking at the Firestorm 5.5 amp one they sell at Lowes. He only needs it for ocassional cutting, so he didn't want to go for an all out professional grade tool, but he didn't want a cheap under powered one either. How does Firestorm compare to say Bosch or Dewalt?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

They are consumer grade tools, but servicable. The fellow who did some gutter work for me awhile back was using a Firestorm drill/driver...'said they worked fine and if he dropped it from 20' up, he didn't feel as bad.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've got the Firestorm combo pack - Skilsaw, sawlsaw, drill/driver. It has worked fine for me so far. No complaints. My friend is a maintenance man and he use the Firestorm brand everyday.

"Firestorm" is Black&Decker's cordless line. Never thought of them as connected with Lowes, especially since they're mostly a "Home Depot Orange" color.

I've had one of their drills for close to 10 years now, finally had to replace a battery last fall. Given the ways I abuse it, it may outlive me.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Buying 'disposable' drills. . . This is the tack I have taking with cordless drills. After my PC drill died, I bought a cheapie (Global Machinery Corp- GMC) drill. I've had it over a year and it's holding up fine.

Lee, I only have their Jigsaw and I have to say its aweful, the table is impossible to make and keep level, glad it was a gift, but for someone who does not need long lasting expensive well built tools, then these are fine...

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    I would not waste my money on any Black and Decker product. First there costumer services is not very good. Second there product usally do not hold up long. Third many of there product do not have replacement parts available . You should save your money and buy one that will last for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Killian
    Third many of there product do not have replacement parts available .
    As far as replacement parts are concerned, note that Dewalt service centers also handle B&D parts and repair. I haven't needed any repair service, but obtaining new batteries for an obscure* (and long-discontinued) model took a whole whopping 48 hours.

(*When I say "obscure", I'm not kidding: seen any 13.2V cordless drills lately?)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    ...................(*When I say "obscure", I'm not kidding: seen any 13.2V cordless drills lately?)
    Lee, do you mean the 13.2 volt kodiak line?? I've got hammer drill that needs a couple new batteries...... Darn thing must be 18-20 years old!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    Lee, do you mean the 13.2 volt kodiak line?? I've got hammer drill that needs a couple new batteries...... Darn thing must be 18-20 years old!
    Nope, just a regular cordless drill. I bought it back when 12V was "standard" and the 14.4V stuff was first coming out. Six months later, the "voltage wars" had started, everything was 14.4V or higher, and mine had disappeared.

Lee, I've still got an old (10ish?) Crapsman 13.2V cordless drill. I got maybe 4 years out of it before the trigger became iffy and the batteries were basically worthless to use for any length of time. My 14.4V PC is a beast in comparison. I just had the batteries rebuilt (after 6 years), next on the list is the abused-and-near-dead chuck. It's gone swimming a couple times, and the chuck is rusty (thus, sticky), plus I would prefer a 1/2" chuck.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer
    ...How does Firestorm compare to say Bosch or Dewalt?
    I'd say, "No contest". I would not even try to compare Firestorm to Bosch or Dewalt. If your son-in-law is hesitant to spend the money for a Bosch jig saw, remember the old saying, "You get what you pay for". I used a crappy Craftsman jig saw for years and then "graduated" to a Bosch. I never realized how bad the old saw was until I got a decent one.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

13. Firestorm jig saw...garbage. I understand the basic need and lack of desire to pay $100+ for a more quality saw, but I'll tell you that if you spend a saturday doing the garage sale thing you can buy an older B&D, Sears, etc. jig saw (corded) for $5; If I saw one this past weekend, I must have seen 4. rn

Blog Entries
    My dad had a poor experience with his drill and the customer service when it literally caught fire. I'm sure this is an isolated incident but these seem to be 'once in a while' tools; not for every weekend duty. My 35 year old Skil jigsaw was one of those and I only recently replaced it with a Bosch.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a firestorm grinder and it seems to work just fine. Also firestorm makes corded and cordless tools.