Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advertiser Free Sawmill Creek - Vote Now!!

Advertiser Free Sawmill Creek - Vote Now!!

In case you've missed it, there's a vote going on at the Creek. If you would like to keep Sawmill Creek as an advertiser free forum, you should make a 2007 Contribution. We've suggested $6. Most contributors have contributed more. I would like to see the Creek remain advertiser free. If you feel the same way, consider making a contribution. I've always sent $6 for myself and another $18 for others who cannot contribute right now. That's $2 a month - well worth every penny for the infomation I get here. There'll be a decision made the beginning of December. So, there's not a lot of time, just 9 days.

If you would like to see the Creek stay advertiser free, consider making a 2007 Contribution now.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    You can donate by PayPal by emailing your donation to;

sales@northwindassociates.com

Or you can send a check via snailmail to the following address;

Make checks payable to SawmillCreek Woodworkers Forums!

SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums
    c/o Northwind Associates
    8770 Little England Rd.
    Hayes Va 23072

Thanks for supporting The Creek!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

John

I believe accepting advertising would be a benfit to the forum and it's members.

Banner next to Sawmill Creek

If you use that "dead space" next to the logo and do it tastefully, I think it would give the funds needed to open up the doors for a better SMC. But I know there are some out there who are against the banner. 20k would be enough for a ton of "band width"..

A banner type ad wouldn't bother me either. To be honest I hardly even notice them anymore. Theres another forum that is actually putting the ads in the body of the discussion board just like another thread. Now thats bothers me. Tacky as can be. It's all about money I guess.

Make this a sticky, so it'll remind me to make my donation later.
    I'm at work, and I don't do personal financial transactions at work.

I personally would like to see SMC stay advertiser free. It could be ok, but we won't know until that pandora's box is opened. Also, it is very hard to go back once you go there.

Ads...

What if instead of a banner or something along those lines you just had a sponsors link that you could go to that would direct you to there site. That would be harmless and would bring in some cash!

Bill,

Thanks for your response. The fund drive is a stickey now, but often a lot of folks don't see it. This is often the case for those of us that use the "New Posts" feature, when there hasn't been any action on the stickey. It was getting a bit slow, so I decided to provide a reminder. I'll try to remember to remind you tonight. In the meantime, you're going on the count.

Thanks,

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I for one would rather see it free of ads. I get enough spam in my mail without comeing to my leasure place and seeing more. There is enough ppl in here that can be far greater help to another member and give a hands on about a tool without all the hype. To me this room is for woodworkers talking to woodworkers and should remain that way.
    Reg
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Mitchell
    I for one would rather see it free of ads. I get enough spam in my mail without comeing to my leasure place and seeing more. There is enough ppl in here that can be far greater help to another member and give a hands on about a tool without all the hype. To me this room is for woodworkers talking to woodworkers and should remain that way.
    Reg
    Thanks Reg,

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

No ads is better for me.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

If there was advertising, would we stop seeing posts reminding everyone about contributing? And would the member/contributor labels go away?

12. I fear this will be an unpopular post, but it is an honest one, and one that does not in anyway violate the TOS.

I do not fear the actual little pics that are adverts, what I worry about is the strings attached to theses adverts.

I'm not saying this will happen at SMC, I'm saying it can happen.

How many times have you opened a WW magazine to see a breathless review of some new tool and then find a half dozen full page color adverts in the same magazine made by the same maker who's tool has the breathless review?

I could be wrong, but I think that Fine Woodworking is add free, is it not? I think this is one reason it is held in fairly high regard.

I worry that this is also true for SMC, one of the reasons that the community here has had such a good reputation is in part that it is advert free.

The one thing that never changes is that all things change.

I'll watch with my fingers crossed.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    I could be wrong, but I think that Fine Woodworking is add free, is it not? I think this is one reason it is held in fairly high regard.
    You are wrong. FWW magazine does have ads. There is one out there ad free though.

Now for my take on advertising.

Adverstising is not a bad thing. How else do we find out about new products. Magazine reviews of a new product may not be timely. Ads can be informative and not necessarily trying to sublimillay force a person into buying something that isn't needed.

Magazines ads are fine. A potential WW banners or popups on SMC would be annoying. The difference is you can turn to the next page in a magazine, but on the internet they will remain at the top or bottom or side of the screen. Ads on SMC will take up too much space on the screen.

Just Say No.....

Joe

14. Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    You are wrong. FWW magazine does have ads. There is one out there ad free though.

Joe
    OK, I stand corrected, what is magazine without adverts, Shop Notes...?

I know I've seen it before.......

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    OK, I stand corrected, what is magazine without adverts, Shop Notes...?

I know I've seen it before.......
    Hi Stu: I think you are correct with Shop Notes

Joe