Thread: 10 Years Ago Today ...

10 Years Ago Today ...

I was working for a small company that gave us Turkeys the day before Thanksgiving. Well, my soon to be wife and I were going to her parents house for Thanksgiving and not returning until Sunday. There was no way a Turkey was going to fit in the small freezer of the fridge I had gotten a good deal on. They already had their Turkey ordered, so I decided I'd go ahead and cook it after work. Then I would cut it up in the morning before we left and store it in ziplocks and tuperware for future use.
    As I was leaving, they handed me the Turkey. It was the biggest Turkey I've ever seen ... 24 lbs IIRC. On the way home, I realized I didn't have an appropriate pan to cook this thing in so I stopped at the grocery store and got a foil pan for it. I got home around 6:30, jammed the turkey into the slightly undersized pan and put the thing in the oven. It was the first Turkey I had ever actually cooked. I knew it was going to take a while, so I hatched a plan to set my watch to beep every half hour to wake me so I could baste the beast.
    All went well until I awoke to the smoke alarm beeping. The room was foggy with smoke. I jumped up and ran into the kitchen to see the oven engulfed in flames. The huge bird had been too much for the foil pan and had poked a small hole in the bottom at some point. So all the juice ran into the oven and caught on fire.
    Luckily, there were some large oven mits sitting on the counter left from my search for the baster. A door to the driveway on the side of the house was right next to the oven. So, I whipped open the door, reached in with the oven mits, and tossed the turkey into the driveway. Shutting off the oven and closing the door put the fire out in the oven.
    I ripped down and smashed the smoke detector, then opened the windows and put fans in to clear the smoke. About 15 minutes later I looked out in the driveway to see a small bonfire still burning.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
    Jay St. Peter

Oh, my...priceless!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    I ripped down and smashed the smoke detector, then opened the windows and put fans in to clear the smoke. About 15 minutes later I looked out in the driveway to see a small bonfire still burning.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
    I don't blame you! It always irritates me when those smoke detectors wake me up too!

Great story! Great ending!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

And that was where they got 'Smoked Turkey'!

That's a great story and I'm glad it had a somewhat happy ending.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    I don't blame you! It always irritates me when those smoke detectors wake me up too!
    My ex-wife thought it was an oven timer.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Great Story!
    /

Well, you got me. I just knew you were going to say you forgot to take the gizzard/liver pack out of the bird before cooking. Great story! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I can hear my grandmother...."So.... you couldn't clean it a bit and do something with it???"

Mitch
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell
    Well, you got me. I just knew you were going to say you forgot to take the gizzard/liver pack out of the bird before cooking. Great story! Jim.
    You're supposed to take that out BEFORE cooking?

This morning I was searching for my apple peeler/corer/slicer to make some pie and came across the turkey cooking pan I bought. We've hosted Thanksgiving a couple times since the turkey flambe. I had to laugh, it is massive, must weigh 15 lbs. Not much chance of a repeat
    Jay St. Peter

ROFLMAO!!!!!

That's the best I've heard in a long time Jay.

I got an email the other day which referenced Gracie Allen and how she cooked a roast beef. She bought a large roast and a small roast. She put them both in the oven. When the small one was burned the big one was done.

I'm sure the same would work for turkeys.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.