Thread: A third toybox

A third toybox

I started my wordworking with a toybox. I've made another in the meantime. Since then, I've contructed an entryway table, a dining table, shelving, bookcases, many child toys, etc.

This is my 3rd toychest. I figured I'd up the ante and make panels for the first time. The panels were made on the table saw. The dados to fit were made with a spiral router bit.

It's pine, ofcourse. I really don't have a hardwood supplier around here....so the kids get a pine chest. They don't care!

This is the unfinished base without the top. I'm staining 2 times with walnut, shellac to seal, and toning with probably a darker transtint with shellac. Finish with be waterbased lacquer. I'll update as needed.

OK, I figured it out (again).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (60.4 KB, 139 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (75.9 KB, 149 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (71.2 KB, 177 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (57.9 KB, 106 views)

Smile

Ok, I figured it out.

As you can see..........the kids like it already.

It's an easy build for the most part. Except...........

This is one of those projects that demands square lumbar and equal sides.

I don't have a power planer, so I did my best with my #5 Stanley. The whole thing would have went a whole lot faster with a power planer.

I'm saving up for the 16" Minimax Jointer/Planer. Until then, I'll have to do with the Jack plane!

Save you money and don't buy the planer. One day, when you're pushing up daiseys, the grandkids will tell their kids about how old man John built these chests by hand.

Nice work.

Looks like the "experts" approve of the project!

(BTW, I removed the two posts about the failed picture posting...they were no longer necessary)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Follow up

Doing a little "following-up" on some of the projects lately.

Here's the finished product.

Stained with oil merlot wipe on
    Toned with shellac:medium brown dye mix via HVLP
    Finished with Lacquer (Target USL)

Looks decent, nothing special. It's just to temporarily hold toys until we move.

6.jpg

7.jpg
    Last edited by John Kain; 02-03-2007 at 9:06 PM.

If thats just "nothing special" and to "temporarily hold toys until we move" I can't imagine what one of your good projects would look like! I think it looks amazing!

Blog Entries
    Lookin' good, John. The kids are almost big enough to start shop clen-up patrol.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Looks great. With all those toys though it should have been about 4X that big

Any thoughts on the open and close assembly? Does it have a slow closer shock absorber (like on a car rear window) at all to keep their hands from being smashed if the lid falls closed on accident?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Such cute kids

You are lucky to have such cute kids. This toy box and the craftsmanship that went into it are impressive. As a grandfather, I worry about ventilation -- hardly a week goes by that I don't see some news story about children climbing into a box, an old refrigerator, or other device -- and suffocating. Is there room somewhere for a couple air holes to be cut? Perhaps on the back side?
    Al Clem
    Sedona, AZ

Please do create ventilation openings . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Clem
    You are lucky to have such cute kids. This toy box and the craftsmanship that went into it are impressive. As a grandfather, I worry about ventilation -- hardly a week goes by that I don't see some news story about children climbing into a box, an old refrigerator, or other device -- and suffocating. Is there room somewhere for a couple air holes to be cut? Perhaps on the back side?
    My younger sister climbed into a toy boy my father built when she was three during hide and go seek at a Holiday get together. We all assume that the lid/door is easily opened, but what happens in a lot of cases the children enter and fall asleep. Buy the way, we found her, but she was in there for close to an hour . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick
    Looks great. With all those toys though it should have been about 4X that big

Any thoughts on the open and close assembly? Does it have a slow closer shock absorber (like on a car rear window) at all to keep their hands from being smashed if the lid falls closed on accident?
    I use the lid supports from LV. They are static, nonclosing. Meaning, they don't close automatically. The lid can be lifted to any angle and stays there. No slamming.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Clem
    I'm not worried about ventilation. There's enough space in the lid to box junction where I have padding so the wood doesn't contact on closing.

I suppose you could drill holes in the bottom that would work just fine if you were really worried.