Thread: Three Quick Questions

Three Quick Questions

Hello, This is my first post, and I hope it's alright if I ask some questions to some of the more experianced woodworkers.
    First, Is there a way to set the tables on my jointer to cut tapers (like the bottom of a shaker style leg)?
    Second, Since my work area is only 12x12, I have to move my tools alot, so do you think it is safe to put them on wheels, or am I just asking for trouble?
    And third, does anyone know where I can buy "tires" for a 12 in. band saw?
    Thank You in advance for your replys.
    Larry

Three questions but I can only answer one. Even this answer might be disputed but works for me.

Almost everything in my shop is on double locking casters and works great. With a small shop, or even a larger one, it is very nice to be able to move things around. Something that you want super solid, such as a heavy workbench or cabinet saw, you might want to rig up so that the full weight is on the floor at least at one end when you get it where you want it.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 11-24-2006 at 7:01 PM.

Thanks Alan, I was just concerned about the casters having abuot a half in swing in them, even when locked, and some times a half inch is the differance between keeping a finger and loosing one on a band saw.

Welcome to SMC, Larry!

Actually, you can cut tapers on a jointer with multiple passes, but it requires you to "step" your starting points...it's not something recommended for anyone inexperienced with the tool and unfortunately also requires that you remove the guard since you have to start each pass with some of the workpiece already past the cutter head. This is a dangerous way to do the job. If will be better for you to at least rough cut the tapers on your bandsaw or on a table saw and then just clean them up with a light pass or two on the jointer as you can then use the guard properly and do the machining safely.

No issue with putting your tools on mobile bases...it's quite practical even if you have a large shop, especially for the tools you don't use as often. Any casters should preferably be double locking so they don't role OR turn when locked.

Contact Suffolk Machinery regarding tires for your band saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Larry,

I just got some very nice double locking casters from Hartville Tool for some of my tools. They are very nice casters, much better than the ones at the borg!

I also just bought band saw tires from suffolk machinary, they also have great blades and excellent customer service, ask to talk to a technician if you have questions!

I have been wondering about the tapering question myself, Thanks to Jim for enlightening us both!

Jonathan

I'll respond to 2:
    Yes you can do tapers on a jointer. I believe there are instructions in the manual that came w my new Jet jointer.

Yes, I have everything in my shop(s) on wheels. Great for convenience, prioritizing and cleanup. Not a problem
    Jerry

To see how to cut tapers on tablesaw, buy the video, "Build a Shaker Table", by Kelly Mehler. He does it that way, and you will learn a lot from that terrific video. If you google his name, you will get to his school's website, and can find it for sale there. While you are there, check out his classes, they are well worth it. He has lots of cool pics of people building stuff.

My planer is on wheels, when I plane, I wheel it outside the garage and it works great.

Welcome to the creek.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Larry,
    Take a look at this:

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/index.cfm/linda

for very explicit instructions on how to cut tapers on a jointer.

Matt

A pattern-makers jointer can be easily configured to make a taper, but very few folks actually have one. better to saw the taper and then joint it as usual ..lou

Thanks everyone, I did't know you could get casters that would lock the wheel and the swivel action. As for the taper legs, I think I,ll experiment with a wedge and some 2x2 straping, but when it comes to tapering the hemlock, I'll stick to the saw, and clean it up with one pass through the jointer.

Larry,

Some of the guys here really like the Hartville double locking casters including myself. I have three different brands and for the money I like the Hartville best. I am sure that there are some industrial models that are better but it seems that the price goes up fast when you get in that range.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11883