Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a new table saw.

I need a new table saw.

I just sold my GI 50-185L contractor saw and my Delta 22-580 planer so now I need a new table saw.

any suggestions?
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Well...LOL...I think you can probably imagine what I'd want to suggest if money was no object, but help us out a little with your budget and what you "must have" in a new table saw...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

yea, a slider would be nice. but it might take up a bit more room in the garage.

although........... a little slider????

Price? I don't know. Sawstop, a slider, PM2000 are on the short list....

jOe

btw, jim know where a guy can find a good quality slider????
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I seriously doubt that anyone here would have the slightest idea about what table saw you should buy....

YM

Stop worrying..I've found the saw for you.

http://www.martin-usa.com/cms/_main/...automatic.html

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    btw, jim know where a guy can find a good quality slider????
    Now that you mention it... LOL I might have some ideas.

Seriously, though, it's really hard to make a qualified recommendation without some guidelines from you on this...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a good friend who just purchased a Grizzly cabinet model and is very pleased with it. I can not recall the model number, but I've seen the saw and was very impressed!

Since you're considering cabinet saws, and since you're American, you should consider one that is or was made in the USA.

Isn't there still a Powermatic model that is US-made? If not, I think it was recently discontinued and you might have luck finding some new old stock.

BTW - What does selling the planer have to do with the purchase of a new table saw? You're still going to need a planer.

Peter - That saw is only 7.37 hp. He doesn't have to settle for that. Go for a full 10 hp I say!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    Since you're considering cabinet saws, and since you're American, you should consider one that is or was made in the USA.

Isn't there still a Powermatic model that is US-made? If not, I think it was recently discontinued and you might have luck finding some new old stock.

BTW - What does selling the planer have to do with the purchase of a new table saw? You're still going to need a planer.

Peter - That saw is only 7.37 hp. He doesn't have to settle for that. Go for a full 10 hp I say!
    Hi Jeremy,

I own a Minimax 12inch jointer/planer combo already so the Planer was surplus.

I have really strong leanings towards the Sawstop. Is that U.S. mfr'd?

Joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

The SS is not manufactured here.

There aren't to many saws that are anymore. PM2000? I think and some industrial saws.

The SS is, however, a very fine piece of equipment. Definitely at the top tier of cabinet saws, even without the brake. If you haven't fondled, err, checked one out it is well worth it before deciding on a purchase.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

The 2000 isn't. The 2066 (custom version of the 2000) has the top ground, final assy and finishing done here, but I don't think it is cast here. The 66, if it is still made, is from here. The only other that I know of is northfield, but you are talking serious bucks then.
    Grizzly has a mini slider that is fairly light on footprint, but I can't recommend it because I haven't seen it nor read any reviews of it.
    My typical recommendation would be the jet deluxe xacta. That is what I have and really like it. They may still be backordered, so keep that in mind. Next on my budget list would be the grizzly 10" with a riving knife followed by the PM 2000. When getting into PM2000 price range, you may as well get the sawstop. It isn't much more than a 2000 and is a great machine. Beyond that, you may as well look at euro sliders. Note that everything that I have suggested so far has a riving knife.
    Last edited by Eric Haycraft; 04-02-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: sawstop

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Haycraft View Post
    When getting into PM2000 price range, you may as well get the sawstop. It isn't much more than a 2000 and is a great machine. Beyond that, you may as well look at euro sliders. Note that everything that I have suggested so far has a riving knife.
    Woodcraft has some type of Sale on April 12 on the pm2000 3hp, 50inch rails with some clamps for $2069 or some similar price.

Sawstop? 50 inch rails lean towards $3300.

I had 50 inch rails on my old saw and I liked it, but not for the main reason. I liked the long rails because of the secondary benefit -- nice assembly table.

Any thoughts on length of rails?

Joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Joe, I'd suggest that you take a good look at the Titanium-table Steel City saw. It's a real honey and well within your price range. And the SCTW fences are the smoothest in the business - beat Bies fences all to heck.

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...20Table%20Saws

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    Any thoughts on length of rails?
    If space isn't an issue, 50 is the way to go. I downsized from a 52 to a 30 due to space constraints. The 30 is still a huge machine, but I can at least open my car door now.

Well there are many options out there and all good saws I just ordered a SS 30" that was my choice. Besides the obvious features, the quick change riveting knife, thin guard and other features I though this was the best designed saw. Yea the price is a bit higher but my fingers and whoever else works on this some day like my kids are worth a couple extra bucks.
    -=Jason=-