Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B/E Maple bookcase

B/E Maple bookcase

I've been asked to build a bookcase measuring 84" tall and 9' 8" wide using Birdseye maple. I have been given about 80 bd. ft. of birdseye maple stock from Michigans Upper Peninsula. A very good friend named Bruce who is a logger and has a sawmill wants to give this bookcase to his wife for a belated Christmas present. He logged off the B/E and milled it at his sawmill.

He wants the 2 outside pieces measuring 24" x 24" to have adjustable shelving for pictures and the center section measuring 66" x 16" to have fixed shelves for books. The bottom areas are for storage and will have raised panel doors. He would like the doors to be made of B/E also but I explained my caution with tearout and he said plain maple would be fine as long as I made the rails and stiles with birdseye. Bruce has given me some leeway so I've been pondering (and asked a couple WW'ing friends their opinions) about using cherry for the raised panels and B/E for the rails and stiles. All the carcase has been made using 3/4" maple plywood per his request, all the face frames will be B/E maple.

Pictures show the face frames already cut to size and passed through the drum sander. I'm not sure how well the B/E will show up but it is highly figured. The next pics show the carcase mocked up to get an idea of size...and the third....I just had to get my mom and dad in on the project.

I will post more on this thread as work progresses.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve,

I have only worked with BE maple on finishing test pieces. Can't show you any pics, but test your finish on some scrap, so you can determine the best way to "pop" the eyes. Teri Masaschi (sp?) had a good article in FWW withing the past 2 years or so about different finishing for BE maple.

I have a stock of BE that I got from Andy London that I am saving until I get a little better. I plan to plane it to rough thickness, then finish surfacing it with hand planes or, worst case, the drum sander like you are doing.

Please post again with pics of the completed project. Whatever you decide, I am sure it will look great.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Hey Bro, where's the "other" two pictures??? (Sorry guys...inside joke.) Well, it's like I told you before, that is going to be one humungo setup! Judging by the BE you have there, it'll truly be the centerpiece for any room. You already know my opinion for the finish, as well as mixing in that Cherry for the doors. I think it would look fantastic!

Please, be sure to keep us up to speed with updates on this one. I've got an entertainment project somewhere in the future for the family room and I may be able to "borrow" some ideas for it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Looks like a big one, Steve! I'm looking forward to the progress reports!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Update

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I'm looking forward to the progress reports!
    Well here ya go!

Made some progress today, I ripped the shelving faces down to size, sanded them glued and nailed them together.

The first picture shows that I pre drilled and countersunk the face for the shelves. I used screws where it will not be seen and nailed a couple of places where I can fill in with filler where it will be seen. Sure seems to be nicely figured Birdseye in my opinion.

Just a shot of one of the shelves in the clamps waiting for glue to dry. Another picture shows the adjustable shelving holes I pre drilled before assembly.

Then a picture of the Birdseye facing on and the shelf in place. And the last shot is from a distance with all the shelves in place and most of the facing on.

Next step will be routing the face frames then gluing it all together.....If I'm boring anyone I'll stop, otherwise...stay tuned.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Boring"??? I think not, my friend! You're making some very rapid progress with that project! I do, however, have one question: It looks like the span of the middle shelves on the center unit is pretty dramatic. I do hope it's not their intent to put anything heavy on those, as some sag may come into play! I can see some nice turned bowls or such on those! (Hint, hint...) Keep up the progress pics. You're doing great!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    I do, however, have one question: It looks like the span of the middle shelves on the center unit is pretty dramatic. I do hope it's not their intent to put anything heavy on those, as some sag may come into play!
    John, it is their intent to put picture albums and books on those shelves, but I do know the shelves would sag under that load so the 66" bookshelf portion will have a face frame that will be halfway across at 33" running vertical. I had figured on drilling a 1/4" hole on the backside of that pice and installing a shelf pin to give the front support. The backside is nailed to the maple plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    Teri Masaschi (sp?) had a good article in FWW withing the past 2 years or so about different finishing for BE maple.
    Thanks Martin, I'll look and see if I have that issue. Does anyone happen to know what issue # that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    John, it is their intent to put picture albums and books on those shelves, but I do know the shelves would sag under that load so the 66" bookshelf portion will have a face frame that will be halfway across at 33" running vertical. I had figured on drilling a 1/4" hole on the backside of that pice and installing a shelf pin to give the front support. The backside is nailed to the maple plywood.
    Cool! Sounds like you've got that little issue covered as well, buddy! Nice job!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

10. FW#163 is the issue that covers three types of finishes for Bird's eye maple, Steve.

It also has a great article on scratch stocks, which is what I was looking for the other day when thumbing through my magazines, and happened to notice the article on bird's eye maple finishes.

Ethan

Done and in place.

Blog Entries
    Steve, that turned out beautifully! Good to see ya around again!

Steve,

Nice Darn Job!

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Bookcase

Very nice piece.

WOW!!! That took a long time.

But it is real purdy.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.