Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Dressing Table

Philadelphia Dressing Table

I finally finished my Lowboy project on Friday and thought I would see what people think!

Most if not all of my projects have a utilitarian purpose, with something needed at our house, a gift, etc., but this one I started last summer(2005) with no other purpose but to practice my carving and joinery. I was sent on the road for work down to Branson, living temporarily without my shop, so I milled up some mahogany and started carving in my hotel room (the small applied shell). I later got my workbench down and started working on the legs, then we moved to Springfield in August. So I got through with other projects and set back to this one a couple of months ago.

This is a Philadelphia Dressing table, modeled after an existing high chest in the Chipstone collection. I took some other lowboys and scaled my dimensions proportionally from there.

Dimensions: 31 1/4" high, by 21" deep, by 35" wide.

Materials: Mahogany and white pine as secondary, Hardware from Ball and Ball

Finish: Water based aniline dye and shellac

As I advance in my period furnituremaking skills (Hopefully), I am trying to capture details that look "right" as they would have been in the 18th century, so feedback is appreciated.

It was a fun project, that took a lot of time and effort.

Thanks for checking it out, Cal
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks nice Calvin.
    Glad to see someone else from Springfield on here.

Nice Work!

Wowee! This project is fabulous! Wonderful details, great choice of materials and perfect proportions. The carvings are beautiful and the overall craftsmanship of this piece is excellent. This is why I log onto SawMill Creek!...Jeff

As a perennial sucker for period furniture, you've made my day. Very nicely done Calvin.

Dave Anderson
    SAPFM #223
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Um..."wow". That's a beautiful piece, Calvin!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I second Jim, WOW! You did that in a year? It would would take me a year to get started on a project like that. I am humbled,that is way beyond my present skil level,maybe someday!job well done!

Calvin -

I think it looks terrific! The porportions are great....

The legs look strong, yet elegant - I especially like the "deep curve" down by the ball and claw. Thanks for sharing a great work!

great piece. I also want to try my hand at some of the Philadelphia school pieces. I may start on a pie crust table with caved legs as well.... anyway, just love the piece.. low boys are real neat pieces of furniture. how about a photo of the top and let's see how you fastened it to the base. It has been my experience that many of these cross grained built cases split on the sides near the bottom. any thoughts on that?

legs look great and so does the center drawer. really can improve on any of it. might like a detail on the quarter columns. I have seen them done a couple of different ways.

best wishes
    Lou

Great detail Calvin...the claw foot legs are spectacular.

What color or color combination of dye & shellac did you use to get that wonderful finish?

WOW to the third power

Beautiful piece. The carving is great, finish is perfect, design wonderful. I just wish it were mine.
    18th century nut --- Carl

I'm with John, Those may be the nicest and most detailed lowboy legs I've ever seen. Super nice.

I don't know much about period furniture except that I like the look and I like yours a lot...a whole lot! That's really fine stuff.

Your work is way beyond my skill level but I sure do enjoy seeing it. I'm a leg man, too, and those legs are fantastic.

Thanks for showing and keep them coming.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I'm speechless. That is museum quality work that only a master craftsman could do!
    Nicely done!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a set of plans on the back burner to build one of these, but it's not nearly as nice as yours. Excellent, keep up the good work.

Cal, this is worthy of a page/shot in FWW mag. Really nice piece of work.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php