Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beisemeyer (or clone) micro-adjustment

Beisemeyer (or clone) micro-adjustment

I love my Beisemeyer clone fence, but wish it had micro-adjustment capability. Does anyone have a device (other than a mallett) that can be added to such a fence to get micro-adjustability? I am not looking to replace my fence (or the one for my new SawStop when I get it) but am looking for a 3rd party device.

Although this is not exactly what I am looking for, it looks interesting. Anyone have it?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16755

Any other product worth mentioning?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Dont have one, but you're right - it does look pretty interesting, and a pretty reasonable price too. Dont recall what mag I saw it in, but it seems like I saw instructions on making one using an 8-32 machine screw to do the adjustment. Seems like it was relatively recent, like the past year or 1-1/2. For the $30 that Rockler wants it hardly seems worth the cost and time to make one though.
    Use the fence Luke

I have a Jet Xacta II fence, a Biesemeyer clone, with a micro-adjust feature. I find the feature hard to use, and have gone back to the bump and check method.

It appears to me that the Rockler solution allows micro adjustment in only one direction. Hmmm.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 11-26-2006 at 9:00 PM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein

It appears to me that the Rockler solution allows micro adjustment in only one direction. Hmmm.
    That's one of the reasons this is not exactly the solution I was looking for. However, it would seem that the micro-adjust feature on this Rockler product could work in both directions. If wanting to INcrease the fence-balde distance just a bit, the adjuster could be rotated AWAY from the fence, and then the fence tapped up against it. This is in theory only though. I wonder if such a move was actually attempted, if the adjuster would slde down the rail a bit from the weight of the fence.
    Regards,

Glen

Kreg offers a micro-adjuster accessory for their bandsaw fence. It does the fundamental thing you need, but it probably would require modification to fit your fence and your rail.

http://www.kregtool.com/products/pms...?PRODUCT_ID=52

The threaded shaft screws into a threaded hole on the fence. The blue part gets tightened on to the rail with the black knob. With the blue part fixed to the rail, turning the knurled thumb wheel microadjusts the fence.

Glen,

I bought one of those Rockler micro adjusters. I cant resist a new gadget. Its an illness. In theory it should work but the magnets arn't strong enough to keep the thing from moving along the fence rail. It hasn't gone into the trash yet because I'm sure I'll find some use for it.

What I do with all fences that need to be micro adjusted is to position the fence, and make a test cut. Clamp a block of wood up tight against the fence and losen the fence and then use a paper shim between the block and the fence to sneek up to your cut.

You probabaly know this but Incra sells fences that allow you to adjust the fence in and out by thousands of an inch. They of course arn't cheap.

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson

You probabaly know this but Incra sells fences that allow you to adjust the fence in and out by thousands of an inch. They of course arn't cheap.

~mark
    Yeah, I've got an Incra on my router table. Love it. I just don't have the room to the right of my table saw to accomodate such a fence on the table saw.
    Regards,

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson

I bought one of those Rockler micro adjusters. I cant resist a new gadget. Its an illness. In theory it should work but the magnets arn't strong enough to keep the thing from moving along the fence rail. It hasn't gone into the trash yet because I'm sure I'll find some use for it.
    Thanks for the mini-review. I just removed it from my Christmas list.
    Regards,

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard
    Yeah, I've got an Incra on my router table. Love it. I just don't have the room to the right of my table saw to accomodate such a fence on the table saw.
    I have an Incra on my router table also. The router is mounted in the TS extension table. I also dont have room for the TS version of the Incra fence. One thing I've thought about but not tried is using the Incra adjuster with the B-meyer fence. If you could mount the adjuster securely to the right of the B-meyer it could be used as a stop for your fence. Just a thought.

~mark

Glen, this is what I use to ensure repeatable cuts: http://www.wixey.com/fence/index.html

No, you still have to do the "bump" thing but, if you want "exact" every time, this is the best thing I've found to date. Installation is quite simple. If you have a left tilt saw and need the same accuracy with a dado set or even switch between thin and full kerf blades or, use an auxiliary fence on your fence, you can re-index (zero out) the unit in seconds to whatever your new start point is. Works great!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I'm thinking about the DRO that John mentions for my X-Acta fence. I've enjoyed having one on my planer (outside of discovering this weekend that the batteries need changed...) and it sure is nice for repeatability as well as "dreary eye syndrome" when making ready for a cut. That said, even without my "cheaters" I don't really have a problem setting my fence to an "exact" measurement...at least in the context of accuracy I feel necessary for woodworking.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Remember the rockler product only adjusts to the left. That is as you wind the screw back out there is no connection to the fence, it does not drag the fence back with it. It only pushes. But, I agree that by the time you drove to HF for a $2 clamp, hacksawed it, paid for rare earth magnets and made an assembly out of a piece of wood that would look pretty rough; $30 ain't bad.

You may want to check the setup on your fence. I can micro adjust mine just by tapping the side with my finger as if playing a piano; no mallet required. The fence should slide very easily despite it's weight. If not, check for something dragging, clogged or a surface that hasn't been waxed this week. ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I shy away from anything that may tend to magnetize my metal tools.

There are digital readouts you can retrofit on your fence.

I have not had this problem with mine unless I try to move the fence a distance more than a "micro". I stick with 3/16ths or less. Dick B.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley

You may want to check the setup on your fence. I can micro adjust mine just by tapping the side with my finger as if playing a piano;
    I only used the mallet as a descriptive analogy. Actually, I just "rap" on my fence with my knuckles.
    Regards,

Glen