Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you treat and protect your table saw top.

Question How do you treat and protect your table saw top.

Looking at the products out there, I wouldn't know one from the other so....ask the experts!

I use the Boshield (spelling?), got it from Woodcraft. Then after it dries good for a few days, I top coat with Johnson's paste wax. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

wax and fogging oil

I use paste wax liberally around the shop. Boeshield is good too. I think it is basically paraffin in solution with a solvent.

Along similar lines, I also have a bunch of metalworking tools (lathe, mills, precision whatnots). These can develop a coating of rust very easily since I am too cheap to run a dehumidifier in my barn.

I find that keeping air moving with a fan is a huge help.

In drawers of precision whatnots, I put a piece of camphor in there. It smells like vaporub and prevents corrosion.

A machinist buddy of mine coats his machines with "fogging oil". This is an aerosol oil that is intended for winterizing engines. You run the engine and spray this into the air intake until the engine stalls. Put away for winter.

He says this oil is great for metalworking machines- spray a light mist and it doesn't get gummy. It wipes off when you need to clean up, and prevents corrosion in the meantime. Of course, this won't be right for woodworking machines.

Wax. No WD40!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell
    I use the Boshield (spelling?), got it from Woodcraft. Then after it dries good for a few days, I top coat with Johnson's paste wax. Jim.
    Same here, do it all my tools, drill press, jointer/planer, bandsaw, etc.

I almost exclusively use Renaissance Wax on all my iron (and finished wood projects ). Easy on, easy off, no silicone, etc... A bit expensive at the onset but, lasts a real long time!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I just use past wax.

I live in a pretty dry climate. I just refurbished an old Rockwell / Beaver 6200 TS, that had been sadly neglected for years. It had hardly any rust on it due to the climate. Good for tools! Bad for noses & hands!

Corrosion X initial treatment followed by Boeshield twice yearly plus paste wax regularly. And I still get some rust. But I live in the tropics where mold is our state flower.

Johnson & Johnson wax works for me, also use it on my torsion table, keeps the glue from sticking to it.

Al

Blog Entries
    I also use paste wax but SoCal inland valley areas are pretty moderate weather-wise.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Boeshield T9 (Home Depot, West Marine or good hardware store) and overcoated with Johnson's Paste Wax.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 11-29-2006 at 2:23 PM.

So.....

If I wanted to try our the bostik Topcoat, I have to remove the past wax?

I use CRC Table Guard.

No rubbing, no buffing....

Just spray, wait a few seconds and go!
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

JPW for me with TopCote for smaller things like plunge router tubes, chisels, idle sawblades etc.

Top Coat about once a year and the rest of the time it's baby powder spread around with a eraser.
    Last edited by Byron Sellers; 11-29-2006 at 5:33 PM.

I started to using paste wax, but here in AZ we dont have to worry about rust