Thread: Help with Christmas idea please

Help with Christmas idea please

Hi all, and thanks to those who offered advice on Canadian laser reps.
    I ended up purchasing a CAMTech L5 25watt, lots to learn but I am very happy with it.
    I am looking for a raster image of a tall ship. My Father who passed away about 5 years ago was a sailor and my Mom loves the tall ships. I would like to raster a granite tile for her & am struggling to find a decent picture. the ones available on the internet are all 72 dpi and do not produce very nice results. I am finding 300 dpi seems to work best with photos. I don't even necessarily need a photo. Even a raster image like the ship on the epilog sample would be great. Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks !

I went to the US Coast Guard site http://cgvi.uscg.mil/

If you click the "LOGON" link and use uscg for the user name and password, you can search for "tall ships". Many pages of hits.
    Jim Walters

Pinnacle Mercury 30W
    CorelDRAW x3
    AutoCAD Electrical

thanks

Thanks for the link suggestion Jim.
    Lots of hits for tall ships, and a few pics - may be able to use one.

I can't remember where I got this file but you can delete the text and use this ship

Jeff
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jeff
    Laser's Edge Engraving

Epilog 24TT 45watt
    Corel 12, X3, X5

great ! thanks

Great Jeff, Thanks - I appreciate the file.

Another source for some photos - Google search for Tall Ships under Goole images - there may be a suitable .jpg that can be converted for your use. I've got a Dover CD with some ship images - I'll take a look and send you the file.
    Cheers!
    Luke
    A Stone Canvas
    White Post, VA

When looking for images on google, I usually have success when using advanced search, large images, black and white. This eliminates the .jpgs, because by default a .jpg is a lossy colour file.. even if the colour is black and white, it's still a 24 bit file, and choosing black and white, large, usually results in a 2 bit fie, that will vector fairly well. worse comes to worse, a large .jpg will do if theres nothing else..

istockphoto.com has a good selection of high res artwork for $1 TO $5 -- I saw a few nice images under "tall ship" search words.

Linda

Mark - attached is a .cdr file - you might have already gotten this - I also have some more files I can send but they're too large to post here - send me a private msg with your email address and I'll send them on to you.
    Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    A Stone Canvas
    60w VY-TEK FX/2, Adobe Illustrator/ Photoshop Elements, Corel X4, Photograv 3.0, Sandcarving, Stage Blasting, Stained Glass, Scrimshanding, all mobile studio.