Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Fund Drive Ever

I wish there was a way I could send Keith a couple of servers we have in the warehouse. They were used for about 2 years and then retired. They are along the lines of a 4 CPU Sun V440. With two of those, with the 8GB of memory in each, toss in a couple of disk array's of 524GB each (15K RPM drive BTW) this would fix SMC up for some time.

How about an 8 CPU ALPHA TurboLaser 8400 with 16GB of memory?
    I don't know if it could be done. Company policy could be so harsh that the donation couldn't be done. I could at least check it out.

Just thinking out loud.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Holy reindeer, Dennis! I can't speak for Keith or Aaron but, it would probably be a worthy effort if you check that out. Always nice to have choices whenever possible. I realize Aaron would probably just "hate" having to work with those "relics" but, you never know!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I just donated using paypal

SawmillCreek is great, and I'm glad I can help keep it going.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Joe,

The totals as of this morning are;

$8,913.94 with 477 Members Donating which is an average donation of $18.68

We have enough to build a new dual processor server (number 2) plus update our software. We can either purchase a new battery backup or wait untill we have more funds to replace server number 1.

Everything we collect beyond our bare bones cost of $5,500.00 we will spend on The Creek on new hardware and software. We would need about $11 grand total build 2 new servers, replace our battery backup and pay our bandwidth and sysadmin expenses. We would have to collect the funds quickly if we wanted to get the parts to build 2 servers in and get them both online during the holidays.

What Say Ye?

"Ye says" I think Mr Bailey's work isn't finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Joe,

The totals as of this morning are;

$8,913.94 with 477 Members Donating which is an average donation of $18.68

We have enough to build a new dual processor server (number 2) plus update our software. We can either purchase a new battery backup or wait untill we have more funds to replace server number 1.

Everything we collect beyond our bare bones cost of $5,500.00 we will spend on The Creek on new hardware and software. We would need about $11 grand total build 2 new servers, replace our battery backup and pay our bandwidth and sysadmin expenses. We would have to collect the funds quickly if we wanted to get the parts to build 2 servers in and get them both online during the holidays.

What Say Ye?

Keith, sounds like an excellent drive. Are the amounts before or after the PayPal fees? PayPal fees are an operating cost and do not lower the amount of the contributions.

Also, since many contributed on behalf of other members as I recall seeing during the drive, the amount of contributors should be artificially higher. Something around 1500 people are covered by the contributions when the $6 per member is properly applied. Certainly not 100% of the membership, but not a bad number.

Pretty good stuff for EVERYONE who enjoys the Creek, congratulations.

<--- paid for two
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Mike,

The total collected is before the fees that PayPal will deduct for their services so we will take a bit of a hit but we're still in great shape.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    I wish there was a way I could send Keith a couple of servers we have in the warehouse. They were used for about 2 years and then retired. They are along the lines of a 4 CPU Sun V440. With two of those, with the 8GB of memory in each, toss in a couple of disk array's of 524GB each (15K RPM drive BTW) this would fix SMC up for some time.

How about an 8 CPU ALPHA TurboLaser 8400 with 16GB of memory?
    I don't know if it could be done. Company policy could be so harsh that the donation couldn't be done. I could at least check it out.

Just thinking out loud.
    Nice thought... but I can tell ya right now it ain't gonna happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cothren
    Nice thought... but I can tell ya right now it ain't gonna happen...
    Oh Well.....one could only hope.
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 12-07-2006 at 2:11 AM.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Donation is on it's way as of 12-23-06 when the mail man visits our box
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons
    Donation is on it's way as of 12-23-06 when the mail man visits our box
    Hey, thanks Michael! BTW, did 'ya get yer deer this year?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

No Sir. It was sort of a bust this year. I didn't hunt much this year cause I had other things on my mind, mainly the possibility of losing my job at Fords. Kinda took the excitement out of deer season, although I did go out opening day of gun season and saw 4 small bucks. Couldn't shoot any cause the Uncle has a 6 point or better rule and I have no problem with that. Shot a dandy 8 point last year out of the same stand. The weather didn't help any either. It was really warm here this year.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Thanks

Just Pay Palled donation for 2007, GREAT SITE!! Found the site a couple of months ago and have gained a wealth of turning knowledge and inspiration from your site! Thanks to All that work so hard to make it what it is. Skip Spaulding

I have been lurking here for a while and have found this to be one of the best woodworking resources on the net. I made a contribution today. Thanks for the great information you all provide here.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Hey Skip and Raymond! Thanks much, guys! Even though our main annual drive is the one concentrated effort we make to keep SMC operational, it's all the "incidental" contributions throughout the year which typically put us "over the top" to ensure the wheels here keep churning. Thanks much, fella's! Greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas