Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Contest & Auction - Gloat 'em if ya got 'em

Holiday Contest & Auction - Gloat 'em if ya got 'em

This thread serves to provide an easy method to view all the entries in the contest (as well as those which were submitted for auction purposes only) without having to sift through the rhetoric. But if you're like me, that can be fun too - so here's a link to it.

This thread will remain locked for the duration on the contest. If you'd like to submit an entry please post it in the thread linked above and then let myself, John Miliunas, or Andy Hoyt know this and we'll ensure that your post gets copied into this thread.

That's an important step, because this is the thread the judges will be looking at.

Thanks, Scott.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 12-03-2006 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Major revision to scope of event
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Entry #1 - Group Tearout

Here is my first entry: a magic wand. It is 13.5" long, probably 0.75" thick in the handle. It is made out of maple and is stained an antique reddish brown and has been given a couple coats of boiled linseed oil.

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #1

This item currently has a bid of $20 - Feb 9 - 12:03 PM EDT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-09-2007 at 12:05 PM.
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Entry #2 -- Group Tearout

Here is my second entry: a mushroom. It stands about 5" high and is probably 2" or so in diameter. I think it is made out of western white cedar... it is actually just made out of a branch that I found. It doesn't have any finish because it is so much prettier (I think) plain white. Most other finishes I have tried turn it a yellow orange and it makes it look to much like a two by four. The recipient is more than welcome to add their own finish

100_6948002.jpg

Update.... I made an extra mushroom to go along with my first... Now everybody don't clap at once!

100_7019.jpg

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #2

This item currently has a bid of $10 - Feb 9 - 9:20 AM EDT
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-09-2007 at 9:21 AM.
    Isaiah 55:6-7

I'm having a Hackmatack! --- Auction Only

... and I can't get up!

Here's my official entry for the auction This is a piece of native Maine Hackmatack that was a tree just yesterday. Last night some high winds took down an ugly old dead good for nothing but firewood (or turning) maple right behind the house, and it brought the hackmatack down with it.

It's about six inches tall and four inches across at the shoulders. I hadn't intended on this being a once turned item, but I got carried away before I realized how thin the walls had become. Oh well - nothing ventured.... Sanded to 600; buffed with all three compounds; photobooth; and Bob's your uncle.

curtis hackmatack 01.jpg curtis hackmatack 02.jpg

curtis hackmatack 03.jpg curtis hackmatack 04.jpg curtis hackmatack 05.jpg

Okay - Cothren. Git-r-done!

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #3

This item currently has a bid of $80 - Feb 11 - 5:46 PM EDT
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-11-2007 at 5:47 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads

Candy Dish -- Group Catch

Well, you turn what you got This is a highly figured piece of maple, the kind that gives ya that 3D effect from some angles. About 6 1/2 X 1 3/4. Can be used for candy or ice cream any flavor. And yes, group catch, would look Great with Andy's HF

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #4

This item currently has a bid of $26 - Feb 11 - 2:21 PM EDT
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-11-2007 at 2:22 PM.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

My Entry! --- Group Catch

Here's my first shot at a hat and it turned out better then I could of hoped! It's thin! Really thin! I'd say about a 16th" on average. Weighed 4.5 ozs before the band treatment. My neighbor Jane Menear did the embellishments and as you can see she's quite the crafter! It's Holly with 5 coats of semi-gloss lacquer. 13"s brim to brim and 7"s high. It fit my 6 year old daughter perfect without the pigtails! Thanks for putting this together guys! It really was alot of fun doing this one knowing it's going to a great cause! Kurt

P.S. I'd also like to thank Larry Hancock for putting such a great tutorial together! http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/email/pdf/hat.pdf

Kurt 1.jpg Kurt 2.jpg Kurt 3.jpg Kurt 4.jpg

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #5

This item currently has a bid of $100 - Feb 2 - 2:05 PM EDT
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-02-2007 at 2:05 PM.

Candlesticks (1st attempt) --- Group Catch

This is a pair of Walnut Candlesticks turned from some glued up Walnut. Two views, front and back side. There's some light sapwood in there too. Tall one is 10.25", short one is 8.75", both are about 2.25" at base and have some brass candle holder inserts to hold a standard taper candle.

What I tried to do here is make the base and top the same with the center section shorter on one than the other. Seemed like it would be easier than it was. I had a heck of time making all the coves, beads, tapers, etc matchup. Now I know why they have duplicators and pattern lathes.

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #6

This item currently has a bid of $25 - Feb 9 - 2:53 PM EDT
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-09-2007 at 2:53 PM.

For Group Catch

This is either a real big ice cream bowl or a small salad bowl. (if you eat less salad it leaves more room for ice cream) It's a new form for me with sort of an Ogee shape to it. It's some type of locust, black or honey, you decide. About 10" x 4.5 " with lacquer finish.

Locust_ Bowl2.jpg

This the same bowl I submitted back at the start of the Holiday Turning Contest. But since I originally posted the picture the bowl cracked and warped some. I repaired the crack with epoxy but there's not much I can do about the warping.

New pictures show the crack and warped shape.

locust bowl 4 crack.JPG locust bowl 3 crack.JPG locust bowl 5 crack.JPG

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #7

This item currently has a bid of $50 - Feb 11 - 12:23 PM EDT
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-11-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Entry #1 - Group Tearout

I have three entries for Group Tearout. I'll post them in order of completion.
    First up, a citrus wood (don't know exact kind) cup 2"Dx2.5"H. Finished with BLO, shellac and wax.

Citrus cup.JPG Citrus cup 2.JPG citrus cup 3.JPG

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #8

This item currently has a bid of $10 - Feb 10 - 11:37 PM EDT
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-10-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Entry #2 -- Group Tearout

I picked up some really nice curly maple at a sale the other week but the end of one board had an inclusion in it so I decided to do my first plate turning. Here is the result. 7.5" diameter finished with BLO only.

curly maple plate.JPG curly maple plate 2.JPG curly maple plate 3.JPG

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #9

This item currently has a bid of $10 - Feb 8 - 10:13 AM EDT
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-08-2007 at 10:14 AM.

Entry #3 -- Group Tearout

This last is the beginning of some turnings from the free wood of my grapefruit tree which has expired. It has a fair amount of old dead wood with newly dead stuff which I found makes for some difficult turning and sanding with the vastly different densities. This was what I came up with. 4.5"Dx2.5"H. BLO and buffed with tripoli to see if the shine would come up. I think it needed more BLO to soak into the old dead sections.

Grapefruit bowl 2.JPG grapefruit bowl 3.JPG grapefruit bowl 4.JPG

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #10

This item currently has a bid of $15 - Feb 9 - 9:27 AM EDT
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-11-2007 at 7:08 PM.

For Group Catch

Nothing spectacular, but here's my "donation" to the Holiday Turning Contest.

It is a tool box pencil kit from CSUSA, with the "wide" lead, made out of moose antler. Finish is simply EEE Polish and 2 coats of wax.

HPIM0466 (580 x 394).jpg

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #11

This item currently has a bid of $41.87 - Feb 2 - 2:44 PM EDT
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-02-2007 at 2:45 PM.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

For Group Tearout

Well,
    it aint much but it is done. The thing I am most proud of is I finally got the vacuum chuck to work. What a county! (Ingham county)
    This bowl is 8 3/4 by 2 3/4. Sanding sealer, friction polish and Beall buffed.
    My goal was just to stop the harassment from the King of the Wind Chill Factor!

Thanx for the inspiration, Andy!

Photos courtesy of 2003 Buick hood.

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #12

This item currently has a bid of $25 - Feb 11 - 4:38 PM EDT
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-11-2007 at 4:40 PM.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

For Group Catch

Hey guys, guess what? The lathe still works!!! The last few months have been busy but, this cause is worth it so, I fired up the ol' Vega. I originally figured a confetti lamp is pretty traditional for this time of year but, wanted to try my hand at some type of box, as well. So, why not both in one? Hence, my "2fer". Besides, seems that most confetti lamps just end up sitting there doing nothing, I figured this one could be used to stash jewelry, coins or even matches/lighter to light the dang thing! Alternately, one could easily separate the two and have a trinket box and confetti lamp. Curly Maple with my usual Velvit Oil finish, followed by Mylands friction polish then on to the Beall, including the Carnuba wax. Overall dimensions (put together) is 5x3; The lamp alone is 5x2 and the box alone is 1-7/8x 4-1/4. All I had available for the lamp part are those throw-away types so, I'll include a couple extra lamps with it. As always, comments/critiques are welcome!

2fer2.jpg 2fer1.jpg

Eeeek...Someone already PM'd me wanting to know what the bottom of the lamp looks like. Here's a pic with both; The box btm on the left, lamp on the right.

2fer3.jpg

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #13

This item currently has a bid of $30 - Feb 11 - 4:38 PM EDT
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-11-2007 at 4:41 PM.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Group Catch entry

This thingy is a turned polyester resin disk measuring about 5" across and 3/8" thick. It has six stone arrowheads and a pewter eagle concho encapsulated in clear resin with an opaque turquoise colored resin backside.

I had planned on using this as a dream-catcher centerpiece, or perhaps an embellishment for the bottom of a platter or large bowl. In any event, I'm sure the high bidder will find a good use for it.

Best regards,
    Ed Davidson

When bidding on this piece, please refer to Item #14

This item currently has a bid of $10 - Feb 10 - 11:37 PM EDT
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 02-10-2007 at 11:39 PM.