Thread: A few turning questions on behalf of another turner

Arrow A few turning questions on behalf of another turner

I have a few questions, from another turner. He is the pastor of our church.

I was talking to him after church last night, and he had an idea.....If you have any helpfull ideas on this next question, they would be appreciated.

The idea was of a sort of lampshade. If you turned a bowl, really thin, and large enough (12" wide) so it does'nt get hot, and then sort of drill alternating size holes in patterns etc: and then screw it on as a lamp shade, for a ceiling light. Has anybody seen this idea before, or heard of it? Any info would be appreciated.

Another question: Our pastor is American, and he will be going back to the states in May next year on furlough.

He would like to make a few money boxes for his grand-children etc: Has anybody had experience with this field? What are your ideas, or opinions? It would preferably have a sort of removable lid, not like a normal box with a normal lid, but sort of like where you can screw the lid on with inconceivable screws, so the lid can come off, but where it has provision to be screwed back into it's former restored position. If you can understand what I have said so far, congradulations

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Joash

EDIT: Also, my avatar..does it look all fuzzy or wonky sort of? I have tried a few different avatars, and they all have that look, nobody else's has that problem. I have 3 browsers(Mozilla1.5, opera 9.02, IE7) I have tried looking at it on all browsers. And the avatar looks the same in all of them. Anyway, just a quick thought. Also, on other forums powered by Vbulletin, I have not had this problem.
    Last edited by Joash Boyton; 12-04-2006 at 6:10 AM.

I have seen table lampshades turned very thin -- I think that the wood was aspen.

Wonky is the way that I would describe the avatar. Maybe it is the image dots per inch (mm) or the amount of compression that has been applied.

Bill

Aspen is a real good choice to turn thin, as is elm, the subject of another thread, though the more brittle nature of elm makes it less fun by far. I'm sure you've seen the down under thin stuff cut along the grain and very thin with Norfolk Island Pine as well. Cousin to aspen that you might try is willow, which I imagine is available there. Else how would you make a bat?

Even when fairly thick - 5-6 mm, you can get some translucency by soaking the piece in oil for a long period, then wiping dry, curing, and freshening the surface.

You'll want a steady of some sort for thin work, because anything but the lightest touch can distort the wood, causing the tool to follow the line of least resistance, resulting in an oval piece. Also protects you from the shattering results possible with too big a bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Joash Boyton

EDIT: Also, my avatar..does it look all fuzzy or wonky sort of? I have tried a few different avatars, and they all have that look, nobody else's has that problem. I have 3 browsers(Mozilla1.5, opera 9.02, IE7) I have tried looking at it on all browsers. And the avatar looks the same in all of them. Anyway, just a quick thought. Also, on other forums powered by Vbulletin, I have not had this problem.
    Had a problem with my avatar also. Kind of ulgy. Tried everything until I realized thats how I really looked.

Hey Joash...send me a big version of your pic and I'll resize it for you. Your avatar is too few pixels....I'll need the original. I'll PM my email address.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

This guy does lampshades. Really good lampshades.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Rick de Roque
    Had a problem with my avatar also. Kind of ulgy. Tried everything until I realized thats how I really looked.
    Rick, I know what's going on with your avatar--there's two of ya there!
    Image009.jpg

Ok, thanks for all the help, I'll forward it on. Does anyone know anything about the money boxes?

Joash

Hey Joash, what do you mean by money boxes. You mean a round screw-top sort of box with a slit in it like a piggy bank? (I didn't totally understand the given description in your post). Couldn't you just make a large box/pot and use thread chasers to make the threads for a screw top lid??
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Hi, a box along these lines maybe...

But what I want is other ideas, just anything from other people that have been succesfull in making money boxes

Joash

BTW: Mr. Hart, your email address is'nt working.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Do you mean a round hollow form that you can get into from the bottom? Like with a removable base, kinda of like a piggy bank? You could give it a tight fit, and pop the base off each time, though that may be an issue if it warps in different humidities. I have another idea, but it's hard to articulate in words.
    "Irresponsibility-
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood." - despair.com

okay, thanks for all the info...

Joash

Yes it is possible and I do recommend to turn a large green piece of wood.
    You control the thickness by putting a lamp inside. If the outside color is red it means you are still to thick, when it is yellow it means you are OK if it is white.... it means you went through
    Here is a good example turned by Claudine Thillet
    http://www.la-truciolara.com/forum/C...Thillet004.jpg