Thread: Last week's turning project

Last week's turning project

I turned this for my mother last week. She has been very sick this last summer. She has been out of the hospital for about 6 weeks and seem to be making great progress on her recovery.

The wood, a piece of maple, came from a tree out of her backyard this last spring. It was badly damage in a ice storm and was in danger of comming down on her nieghbor's fence. So, I went up and cut it down for mom to save her the cost of having it removed. I took home 4 big section of the trunk, sealed them and then put them away. I don't know if it had something to do with the wet summer we had this year but when I cut them open a few weeks ago I found that they had nicely spalted.

Thanks for looking
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome piece, bet that makes her feel better just looking at it.

John, that spalting and your expertise makes for a very fine piece. Your mother must be proud of you. I really like the use of the black on the vase, it just makes it so nice.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Thumbs up

That piece is BEAUTIFUL. Your Mother will love it. O especially like the black banding and the spalting. Very Nice.

Thumbs up

John,

Great job! Beautiful piece of wood made more beautiful by your craftsmanship.

All the best to your mother and hope her recovery continues.

Bob

John, Now that is art! Beautiful. Dave
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

Oh wow

John, really nice work. The shape and proportions are great.

Don't have any more words other than FANTASTIC!!
    Really like the shape, spalt, and the black rings. Steve

Verrrry Nice!

I love the look of spalted maple vessels. you did a real fine job on this one - glad to hear your mom's feeling better too - I'l bet she loved the gift.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by John Davidson
    I turned this for my mother last week. She has been very sick this last summer. She has been out of the hospital for about 6 weeks and seem to be making great progress on her recovery.

The wood, a piece of maple, came from a tree out of her backyard this last spring. It was badly damage in a ice storm and was in danger of comming down on her nieghbor's fence. So, I went up and cut it down for mom to save her the cost of having it removed. I took home 4 big section of the trunk, sealed them and then put them away. I don't know if it had something to do with the wet summer we had this year but when I cut them open a few weeks ago I found that they had nicely spalted.

Thanks for looking
    John
    Sweet, John, very sweet. A striking piece. Your mom will love it forever.

Wolf