Greetings,

I'm working on a computer desk, seems like I've been at this desk forever. I'm down to finishing the top of this desk. Customer wants a black lacquer finish on it. I have 4 pieces to Ash to inlay in the top (without color to them of course), needless to say that I have to get the top "black" and then do the inlay pieces and then do the final lacquer coats with a clear gloss lacquer, THEN do the rub out. I've never done this type of finish and haven't been able to locate a black lacquer locally. I was told I could use acrylic black gloss paint, paint the plywood top with it, sand it flat, do the inlay and then topcoat with clear gloss and rub out.

So far, I have 3 coats of gloss black paint on the top and I'm still seeing wood grain in the finish.

How is this normally done? I've searched the web for any hints about how to do this finish, but have yet to find anything at all.

Anybody here have any experience with this type finish? I have Pumice and Rottenstone with felt blocks for the rub out process, but I've never done this either. If I can get this done successfully, I'll post a How-To so others won't have to go through what I'm going through.