Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which cad program should I use?

which cad program should I use?

Hi. I'm just moving into a shop in Brooklyn, NY. I'll be the only employee for the time being, possibly for a couple of years or so, as I have a lot of learning to do. Hopefully I'll be building mostly custom furniture, but I'll probably take whatever jobs I can get for the time being.

One thing I really need advice on is some recommendations for CAD programs to plan furniture and cabinetry projects.
    I'd like something that gives me simple line drawings and dimensions (3d would be good as well), that I could then add some color and perspective to with colored pencils, if I were presenting an idea to a client. (I've seen this work well in the past.)
    I'd like some software that wasn't too expensive, but that would be able to handle complex design ideas.
    I'd really like something that I could use with a CNC machine one day.

And, I don't think I'm interested in Sketch-up, at least from the results I've seen on here. It looks too cartoonish for my taste. Mostly I'm just looking for a design program that is relatively easy to learn, and gives me clear 3 dimensional line drawings.

Oh, and it would have to be compatible with a mac.

any suggestions? pros or cons of software you've used in the past?

Thanks!
    Stephen

Is this too cartoonish?

Well, I don't know then. 3D perspective, easy to learn, works on Mac, not SketchUp. I have no idea, sorry. Good luck in your search.

Stephen,

I wouldnt pass up on Sketchup because its too cartoonish. If your looking for a program thats looks easy to learn this is the one. I use Solidworks, Pro/e and Autocad programs, Solidworks the most at work. I use this at home for laying out my WW'ing projects just because its easy and I want to spend my time building in the garage. These programs are overkills compared to Sketchup.

I am sure there are high dollar commercial programs that factories use, but until then give Sketchup a try. I am currently playing with a Sketchup demo, but I think you can change the format/interface a bit if you think its to cartoonish.

Remember you want to spend your time building than reading manuals and asking questions on how to do something especially programs that arent meant or cater to WW'ing. For the money this has all the bells and whistles. Plus theres also are alot of input on Sketchup in this forum.

my. 02

Chris

Merely because you need Mac compatibility, SketchUp! is one of the best choices, IMHO. And as Dave points out...it's very capable. More importantly, it's easy to learn...you can be productive quickly, especially at the detail level you really need for basic project designs if you are an experienced woodworker. I don't bother with extremely detailed drawings anymore...the time is better spent building the project.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

To add to this, if you buy SU5Pro you can output DXF and DWG files which could be used for CNC machining.

In my opinion (as a onetime researcher in CAD, User Interfaces, Industrial Design etc) the simple visual appearance that Sketchup uses as a default is a very significant plus.
    Several reasons:-
    a) speed. even now you can't do realtime photorealistic rendering
    b) clarity. a line drawing style can often be more informative when trying to discern dimension, edge flow etc
    c) realism. when you're sketching the reality is that the design isn't finished. I claim that it *shouldn't* look finished. When I was doing an M.Des (many years ago, when magic markers were king) I was stunned at how marker renderings could be (and often were) dressed up to look so pretty that nobody noticed physical impossibilities in the design.

Besides, if you're starting out, free is good.
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

Yet another voter for Sketchup.....I like it. Still getting used to it, but I like it.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

well it seems to be unanimous

Ok guys.
    I'll certainly give it a try. It doesn't hurt that there are so many people familiar with the software on this site. And yes, free is good!
    Thanks for all your responses!

-stephen

I vote for eCabinet Systems software. It's also free for professionals and it will do just about anything you need including line drawings, renderings, cut lists and nest diagrams for your sheet materials. And the eCabs software is parametric, so if you have a cabinet box that you want to resize everything that is part of the cabinet box (like doors, drawer boxes, drawer fronts and face frames) is resized correspondingly. I think the nice renderings really help at selling jobs.

These are two jobs that I worked on recently.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe Dusel (Vista, CA); 12-06-2006 at 10:56 PM.

I use Unigraphics! If it's good enough for aircraft, it's good enough for my coffee table. Don't let the multi-thousand dollar price tag scare you.

Seriously though I have used Pro-E, SolidWorks and Unigraphics. All overkill. Get something simple with a decent rendering program and I bet you'll be happy. Better to waste a little money than a lot.

Wow Joe! Those are nice renderings. Sure beats the cartoons that Sketchup makes.
    -Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel
    Wow Joe! Those are nice renderings. Sure beats the cartoons that Sketchup makes.
    -Jeff
    Cartoons, huh?

It looks like both programs (Sketchup and eCabs) do a nice job.

Here are a few pictures of how the one job in my renderings came out.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    Cartoons, huh?
    Nice cartoons, Dave!

<---- can't even draw a rectangle
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    Cartoons, huh?
    Dave, you are, without a doubt, THE MASTER on SU!!! That's absolutely fantastic, my friend!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!