Thread: Furniture, barrel hinges, dyes and HVLP spraying

Furniture, barrel hinges, dyes and HVLP spraying

I also posted this on Woodnet....if you want to see the first prototype, you'll need to go there and follow the link in there since I cannot link to woodnet.

I posted the first protoype earlier and here is the second go around. In short, the changes are:

1. Top front rail and top door rails are the same width, unlike prototype 1.
    2. Leg curves are slightly different. In prototype 1, the curve started at the very top of the door and ended ~3 inches from the bottom of the leg. In this version, the curve goes all the way to the bottom. I like this version better. It isn’t much less material, but the leg looks more refined by having the curve go all the way to the bottom. I think that part of why having less material at the bottom of the legs looks better than having more material is that the frames already lend a bottom weighted appearance. The bottom rails are wider than the top rails and shaving a bit of material off the bottom of the legs makes for a more pleasing overall weighting. The legs are still quite larger at the bottom than the top….just not as much so as in prototype 1.

3. Barrel hinges are forward of the center line in the door stiles. This allows them to open 90 degrees without needing to bevel the door stiles, unlike prototype 1. Also…the hinges come from Lee Valley. The 10 mm hinges really need a slightly bigger hole than 10 mm. I use a 13/32 bit instead. You want the hinges to go in with just a slight amount of hand pressure so you can fit doors (or lids if building a box) and still remove the hinges without damaging the relatively frail hinge mechanism. For more dense woods, you probably want the hinges to slide in without any resistance…otherwise getting them back out will probably break the hinge. Also, the set screws on the 10 mm barrel hinges require a smaller than standard flat screwdriver head. A 3/32 wide tip works great…from the jeweler’s screwdriver set the Lee Valley sells.

4. I employed magnets as stops……one should be careful about freehand drilling the mortises for the magnets. I suspect I bored a hole out of square and this has one corner of a door a bit out of plane.

5. Coloring. I used a significantly more dilute dye solution this time around and added a bit of red to the dye rather than toning with red. Protoype 1 is quite dark….and in this version I did not dye the veneered curly anigre panels. The panels were oiled with BLO and topcoated with the frame.
    6. I’m getting better at HVLP…the finish off the gun is better. Not as much orange peel and more uniform than prototype 1. I resorted to spraying each of the 6 faces as horizontal surfaces…rather than trying to spray vertical surfaces. The topcoat is Target Coatings Ultima Spray Lacquer. Great stuff.

I realize some of the differences are really difficult to discern from the photos I post.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Blog Entries
    That is a VERY nice piece. Wonderful grain and a great finish. I do like the lighter and darker combination.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

3. Furniture, barrel hinges.......

Tim:

If I recall, you had cut enough parts for 4 or 5 cases.....correct me with accuracy.

What is the function of this case??? I understand you have created a series of cases, will the interiors be different??? Have you reached a decision on hardware????

I appreciate the tip on the jewelers tool kit screw driver.

What is it you are striving for in this multi 5 unit frisk???

Last question.......Why is it you only sprayed on the horizontal???

Thanks..........Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Lamens
    Tim:

Last question.......Why is it you only sprayed on the horizontal???

Thanks..........Neil
    I can't speak for Tim, but I spray on the horizontal to eliminate sags and or runs. In fact, I make all my case goods that way. I tape all glue joints prior to applying stain and top coat. Once he finish is dry, I remove the tape and glue, screw or pocket hole the joints. I just got tired of trying to keep finish from running. I use an HVLP gun.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Tim, that's a lovely design!!! Nice!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Lamens
    If I recall, you had cut enough parts for 4 or 5 cases.....correct me with accuracy.

What is the function of this case??? I understand you have created a series of cases, will the interiors be different??? Have you reached a decision on hardware????

The cabinets are to hold computers. The backs are open to allow for ventilation and the backs are up against a wall. My wife has an office where they need cabinets for 5 computers. All the remaining cases will be finished like this second version.

Hardware - the barrel hinges work but they are pretty fragile. Once I figured out that the mortises have to be loose enough to allow the hinges to come back out with minimal resistance things have gone better. I did find out that 10 mm hinges are no match for my 20 month old niece.

I've got some brass stock so I may knock out some offset knife hinges for the remainder....but the barrel hinges are so easy to install.

And someone else already pointed out the reason to spray all the surfaces when they are horizontal.....easier.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Tim, five computers (or even two) may require forced air flow, not just an open back. Heat is the mortal enemy of electronics. At the very least, the venting needs to be top and bottom if you absolutely need to depend upon convection for cooling...heat rises.

But I still think these are outstanding cabinets!!! If DW doesn't like them, you can send them here...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tim,
    Very nice design and excellent work! Great details too!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"