Thread: Grizz G0513x BS - Are they tippy on a mobile base?

Grizz G0513x BS - Are they tippy on a mobile base?

I'm still in the great bandsaw hunt. I have been looking for a decent used BS locally now for 6-8 months, and have not seen anything I want. They are either too big (over 20), or are basic 14 bandsaws that need a ton of work and are priced as new.

I'm slowing settling in on the idea of buying the Grizz 17 inch G0513x sometime before the end of the year.

I recently called their techincal customer service, and we got on the topic of mobile bases. The guy I was talking with said that the saw should not be placed on a mobile base - it was just too tippy. Then he pointed out that mobile bases were sold as accessories

I have a single car garage dedicated shop, and frankly have to have all of my tools on mobile bases. I doubt I would move the BS around much, but I may need to move it in order to do any resawing.

I'm kind of a safety freak, a belt and suspender type of guy in the shop. I don't want to be using any 220v tool that is on the edge of the safety envelope.

I was wondering if any of you who have either the Grizz 17 BS or another 18 bandsaw with CI wheels have noticed any concern about the saw being tippy.

I'm just not sure if the guy was being very conservative/paraniod about litigation, or if he had real concerns.

Thanks!

I have the G0513 regular model, which is essentially the same but with less weight due to not having the cast iron wheels. I currently have it on the General mobile base and find it to be fairly stable. I need to shim it to eliminate all wobble, it has just a tad on the base itself. I drop it to the floor for each use, so the only play I have is because I do not have it actually bolted to the mobile base and I do not think the base is perfectly flat.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I made the base a bit large, bolted the saw to it.

Rob - I bought a 513X a couple of months ago. I wasn't happy with stability on a mobile base (Delta 50-345 with maple rails). I panelled the base with 3/4" ply, bolted the panel to the base and the saw to the panel. Works fine.

Maybe the Shop Fox base is good out of the box. If not, this option might improve stability.

- Jack
    Jack Hutchinson

I have my "non X" model on the Super Heavy Duty shop fox. You have to put a piece of ply over the base to raise the saw a little so you can open the lower door. But, it's pretty darn stable when in use. I'll give the guy a little uneasy when moving, but not too bad. It's mostly a matter of where you grab and push the thing rather than instability.
    Last edited by JayStPeter; 12-06-2006 at 1:43 PM.
    Jay St. Peter

I have a Delta 14" bandsaw on a mobile base and it is rock solid. I think that the reason is that I welded up the base out of angle iron and installed a 2hp motor so there is a lot of weight down low and I have a pretty wide and deep footprint. If you go the mobile base route and find that it is unstable I think that if you can add 75 or 100 lbs down low it will take care of the problem.

I also have the G0513 on a Shop Fox mobile base and it's plenty stable. Of course, I don't have the cast iron wheels either. Personally, I think you'll be ok. When it's locked down and in use, it shouldn't be any different than if it's on the floor. Just get a good mobile base and be careful when you move it.
    chris