View Poll Results: How tall is your shop ceiling?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 feet of clear space

52 62.65%
  • 11 feet of clear space

11 13.25%
  • 12 feet of clear space

10 12.05%
  • 13 feet of clear space

10 12.05%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop ceiling height poll

I can't vote in your poll because my existing building has 8' ceilings. The addtion will be 8' 9" clearance under the trusses. The difference is due to matching the external alignment of the addition to the existing building. While additional clearance might be desireable for some, this will serve me well for the types of projects I build.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I reget to say that I meet none of those criteria. My "shop" is just over 7' . I dream of 10' ceilings

Skylights, planes, vaulted ceilings??????
    I'm going back to bed....my house doesn't even have that kinda stuff....

I picked ten, its more like maybe 8 foot, but there was no "under 10' " pick....and I'm a bit of a dreamer...

Living in Minn, high ceiling just mean more and harder to heat and cool, but 9 or 10' might be nice.

Al....who hasn't taken out a light bulb yet, but its still early....

My shop is in an added bay on my garage. (Not added by me.) The bay is shed style so the ceiling slopes from about 9' at the outside wall to 12' where the bay meets the original garage.

Ron Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson
    I can't hiccup in my shop! I am 5'10, and my shop is 6' tall.

And people wonder why I drool and cuss over cyclones!
    Randal,

You've got me beat. My ceiling is 6'6" to the bottom of the floor trusses. I can recess stuff like lights and most piping up between the trusses.

Rob

My shop is in an old woolen mill - 16' plus ceilings with 5' x 14' windows. Lot's of room, but I have columns spaced avery 15' or 16'.

I consider myself pretty lucky.

-joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Joe, I bet that shop has a lot of character, however...15'-16' spacing on the columns is at least pretty reasonable!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Perhaps I'm too practical but I think about things like heating/ cooling, taxes, insurance and wind/storm damage. Then I ask myself what I really need.

Here in Florida taxes and insurance rates are soaring and taller means more sail area presented to the winds. In fact many places are not building gable end construction, they are going to hip roof or some other design to decease sail area presented to winds.

My workshop height free space is 8.6 ft which serves me well, since I rarely work with lumber longer than 8 ft. For any lumber that runs longer than 8 ft I just remember to work it horizontally rather than vertically.

It would be great to have 24ft high ceilings and 1000 sq feet extra space but for the few times I use it I ask myself it if is worth it. Like I said perhaps I'm too practical.
    Ed

I have 12' to the trusses and another 5 or so to the ridge in the center. I like that height because it allowed me to put in 3 ceiling fans above the trusses to keep the air moving. It helps in both summer ( nice breeze)and winter (blows the warm air down). I store my lumber on end and a lot of t is 10 or longer.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

My wood shop is 8' and my pole barn is 10'.
    David B

Under 8' here, it can be a bit of a challenge at times, especially working under the heating ducts, which impinge another foot or so. Limits the size of bandsaw I can have too.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Joe, I bet that shop has a lot of character, however...15'-16' spacing on the columns is at least pretty reasonable!
    Lot's! And really, the columns don't get in the way much. Mostly when I'm jogging with a 4 x 8 sheet of ply - something my basement never allowed

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Unni
    Mostly when I'm jogging with a 4 x 8 sheet of ply
    Hmm...I've never even thought about running with a full sheet of plywood in my arms. Come to think of it, I can barely lift it! (But I understand that the context of "jog" was different...LOL!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Hmm...I've never even thought about running with a full sheet of plywood in my arms. Come to think of it, I can barely lift it! (But I understand that the context of "jog" was different...LOL!)
    Jim,
    Actually the context was running...very tongue in cheek though, as my shop is really pretty big. Right around 50' x 60'.

I used to have to wrestle sheet goods down a bulkhead into a basement where the ceilings might have been 7' with pipes hanging below and a 10" beam down the middle. Also had to manuever around columns, stairs, burner, etc.

So when I say jog I almost mean it. Now the only thing I run into carrying sheets goods is maybe an extension cord or a piece of scrap.

Again, I feel very lucky.

-Zen Master Unmon

Rob Will Guest

Tall is good

Mine is 16 feet tall with a white metal ceiling. Most feel that this is too tall but I like the sense of volume in the room. Just today we were ripping some 16' lumber and flipping it end for end. For working on lights I have a rolling scaffold tower with aluminum walk boards.

Rob