Thread: 2 more BB's -- White Ash & Honey Locust

2 more BB's -- White Ash & Honey Locust

These are my last 2 Blanket Boxes of 2006. Hope you can see the subtle differences.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

Great looking blanket boxes. I really like the differences in the woods. Did you seal the interiors? What finish did you use?
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

the locust reminds me of chestnut. nice pieces and good design
    Lou

Very attractive, Mac...and your use of some lesser employed species (the locust) really makes them stand out! Nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

[quote=Ron Jones near Indy]Great looking blanket boxes. I really like the differences in the woods.
    Did you seal the interiors?
    The interiors are sealed with 2 coats of Zinsser white shellac.
    What finish did you use?
    One of the chests has been stained with a WB wood stain by Saman, the other has been left natural since the Ash had a somewhat brownish tinge to it. They are finished with a mix of 1 part Spar varnish, 1 part pure Tung Oil, 2 parts varsol, & a little bit of Japan dryers. This finish can be brushed on or ragged? on liberally, then after 15 - 30 mins. wiped off. It dries in about 4 hrs. ready for a second coat. Just keep putting on coats until the wood won't absorb anymore.
    Not my recipe, but from a ww'er friend, who swears by it. I'm beginning to become a believer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like. I like locust a lot. I like the two paneled lid but I wonder would it dig into my bottom if I sat on it. I like the panels. If the profile on them was wider it would be distracting. I think some catalpa might look good in one but it is hard to find some places. I also like that I don't see dovetails.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack Cameron

The interiors are sealed with 2 coats of Zinsser white shellac. One of the chests has been stained with a WB wood stain by Saman, the other has been left natural since the Ash had a somewhat brownish tinge to it. They are finished with a mix of 1 part Spar varnish, 1 part pure Tung Oil, 2 parts varsol, & a little bit of Japan dryers. This finish can be brushed on or ragged? on liberally, then after 15 - 30 mins. wiped off. It dries in about 4 hrs. ready for a second coat. Just keep putting on coats until the wood won't absorb anymore.
    Not my recipe, but from a ww'er friend, who swears by it. I'm beginning to become a believer.
    Mack - those are terrific!!!

I'm finished challenge....so can you tell me a little more about the finish...i.e. how much Japan dryer. What is Varsol and where can you get all this stuff?

Again - beautiful work!!!

[quote=Roy Wall]Mack - those are terrific!!!

I'm finished challenge....so can you tell me a little more about the finish...i.e.
    how much Japan dryer. What is Varsol and where can you get all this stuff?
    Hi Roy; well thanks for those compliments! To answer your ?'s...Varsol is just a paint, varnish etc. solvent. Japan dryer is a liquid that quickens drying time in solvent based paints. Both will be found at any good paint store. Certainly big box stores will have Varsol or it's equivalent. You may have to get the paint store to special order Japan Dryer.

The most I would mix at one time would be 1/4 c. Spar, 1/4 c. tung oil, & 1/2 c. Solvent (Varsol etc.) & approx. 1 tsp Japan Dryer. This makes 1 cupful and it goes a long way. I've attached a WORD doc. for you to read right from the author and originator of this finish.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very nice work! I love blanket chests. Going to make two this winter [wife has one but wants another and one for a friend of ours].

Mack,

I couldn't agree more with the rest of the "class." Beautiful work and nice detail. Also, thanks for posting the recipe for your finish. That is one area (there are many) I am lacking knowledge and experience beyond Minwax straight out of the can, much appreciated.

Eric
    The only way to make dreams come true is to wake up.

Red face Locust Lumber

Hello Mack, Glad to see someone use locust,I recently had some black locust logs sawed up,and can"t wait to mill some up and see how it turns out .I've never used any locust.I know it was HEAVY loading and unloading.The trees were 24 to 30 inches across,and over 100 Ft. tall and were going to be burned. I had it cut 5/4 and have some nice 10 inch wide 8 ft long boards.They are drying on sticks and straped down in three places,now the waiting starts.