Thread: Garage Workshop Help

Question Garage Workshop Help

I have a 10 1/2' x 22' garage workshop that I currently use but I am very unhappy with the layout. With very limited space can someone here show me there garage shop to give me pointers on how to use this space effectively. I want to try and make my table saw stationary instead of moving it every time I use it.

Tom...........Fine Wood Working had an article a couple of years ago and they have a book "The Workshop Book" where diifferent and unusual workshop layouts are shown and reasoning explained. Might be worth your investigation at Taunton Press. IIRC you could view that article online. It was one you didn't have to buy. Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Grizzly has a software program on their site (www,grizzlyimports.com) where you can enter the size of your space, then add your tools and move them around. It is called Dream Shop at the bottom left on their home page. Kind of cool and was helpful to me.

Rick

Tom, check this out.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...y/data/463.xml

There are other shop tours on there that may be useful as well. One thing I would do if I were you would be to use your soon-to-be bench as an TS outfeed table. That works pretty well for me even though I do need to clear it off to make cuts. Mobilize everything you can. Ken referred to a FWW article. I think he might be referring to Bill Endress' shop. It's in a garage & it's all-mobile. Here's the link on FWW:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...F.aspx?id=2887

Not sure if you need to be subscriber to see it. There are videos on the site as well. I have a hard copy of the article that I can loan you if I can ever get to one of these MCWW meetings.

Tom, for your TS, putting the right extension table to the wall is likely the best option for keeping it "stationary"...most of the time. But with only 10' of width in your shop, you probably need to keep nearly everything mobile. I don't think there is any one "best" shop arrangement and that changes with the project, too. When my shop was only 17' wide, my biggest problem was assembly space. As much as I liked my TS in a specific place, it had to move from time to time just to deal with the work.

One thing I do recommend is that you make all your work surfaces the same height so they are complimentary and don't interfere with material handling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz
    Tom, check this out.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...y/data/463.xml

There are other shop tours on there that may be useful as well. One thing I would do if I were you would be to use your soon-to-be bench as an TS outfeed table. That works pretty well for me even though I do need to clear it off to make cuts. Mobilize everything you can. Ken referred to a FWW article. I think he might be referring to Bill Endress' shop. It's in a garage & it's all-mobile. Here's the link on FWW:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...F.aspx?id=2887

Not sure if you need to be subscriber to see it. There are videos on the site as well. I have a hard copy of the article that I can loan you if I can ever get to one of these MCWW meetings.
    Why is it every time you post to my threads I end up spending more money...

Tom,

That is Bill Endress' shop. I have a Word document that he emailed to me, I could forward it to you if you like. Very cool setup he has.