Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0555 vs Rikon 10-325 Bandsaws

I have the G0555 - a big upgrade from a Jet 14 and a small Delta. I finally upgraded to a MM24... but I still liked the G0555 enough that I kept it as a second bandsaw. I can't compare it to the Rikon or the larger Grizzly, but it sure is a fine 14 inch bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gossett
    Guys, this is making it harder, not easier!

Now I'm gonna look at the 13x for a bit and drool some...

John

Ha,Ha. Who said we were here to make it easier.
    They're all nice machines.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey
    Just when you thought you had all the info, did you notice that Grizzly now has the G0555X at $595. Got the 1 1/2 hp. and the new fence. Looks pretty good.

John
    Such a slippery slope... I've been looking at the G0555, then I think, "For $200 more, I can get the G0555X..." then it's, "And for ANOTHER $200, I can get..."
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

I also went with the Rikon 18". Started out the same way you did by looking for a 14" BS because of price, but after thinking more about what I would use it for I decided to go for a bigger BS. I looked at most of the 17" and 18". The Rikon seemed to have the best mix of features for the price. When Woodcraft had them on sale with free shipping I took the plunge. I am happy with the Rikon. It has a couple of things that could be better, the guide bearing adjustment being #1, but over all a good saw for the money. IMHO, if you can wait, get a bigger saw.
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

Dont forget that if you look at the Shopfox W1706, its essentiall the same as the Grizzly G0555 but with an enclosed base, cast iron wheels, and a few other bells and whistles. Plus unlike their Grizzly counterparts (Grizzly and Shopfox are owned by the same person) Shopfox stuff is sold by dealers so if you've got a Shopfox dealer locally you can pick it up and save on shipping. (though you will have to pay tax)

I am new to this forum, but have been lurking for a week or so.... There is a lot of good info here.

A friend made me an offer on my old Grizzly 1019-Z BS that made it easy to start looking at new saws and tell the wife!

I looked at the specs for most of the 14" saws. I was all ready to go with the Powermatic with riser block, until I started reading about the problems with installing it. Spending that much money and then having to deal with manufacturing defects does not sit too well with me.

Then I saw the specs and reviews for the Rikon 10-325. With all the built in features, this saw looks right to me. Woodcraft has it on sale for $749.99 and the only shipping charge was $20.00, and no tax (internet order). So the order was placed.

The only problem is that it is on backorder until Dec 22nd . Do you think Santa will be able to get it in his sleigh??????????

The new Timberwolf blades have already arrived.

As soon as it gets set up in the shop, I will post again.

Welcome to the Creek Jim! And please give us a follow up. I am considering the PM and the Rikon as well.

Rick

Jim,

No whining is allowed when gloating. Congratulations on your new Rikon. And I bet you get it before New Year's.... you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

Smile

Jim,

Welcome to the Creek! Good to have you aboard!

I think you'll like the Rikon! I've had mine a little over a month now and I'm very pleased with it. It's my first BS and hopefully my last.

As for Santa delivering the BS! I don't think there will be a problem. I over heard someone talking about him being exempt from over weight laws nation wide! Just make sure you leave the cookies and milk in the wood shop!
    Bigger is better, too much is just right!

Congratulations Jim!

I made my order for the Rikon 10-325 day-before-yesterday online with the same deal (and the same backorder date -grrr). I called my local Woodcraft to see if they could discount the sales tax but they said no, but go ahead and order it online because they get a cut from the online transactions. I like to support local when I can, but 8.25% on $749 ain't chump change!

Now that patience has to be exercised until the dude comes in.

I didn't notice that Woodcraft had the timberwolf blades in the 111" size. Where did you order yours? (And what did you order?)

Thanks,

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Gossett
    Congratulations Jim!

I made my order for the Rikon 10-325 day-before-yesterday online with the same deal (and the same backorder date -grrr). I called my local Woodcraft to see if they could discount the sales tax but they said no, but go ahead and order it online because they get a cut from the online transactions. I like to support local when I can, but 8.25% on $749 ain't chump change!

Now that patience has to be exercised until the dude comes in.

I didn't notice that Woodcraft had the timberwolf blades in the 111" size. Where did you order yours? (And what did you order?)

Thanks,

John
    John,

Here is the web-site for Timberwolf blades. Give them a call and they will be happy to help you out!
    Good luck on the saw!

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/default.asp
    Bigger is better, too much is just right!

I've had the G0555 for about 1.5 years. I thought it was damaged when I couldn't get it to drift. I've never had a problem with it and have used the same blade since day 1. It's a BCSaw 3/4" 3tpi. Cuts everything all the time.

Does everything I need it to do. If there was anything I'd like more it would be more distance between the frame and blade.

Burt

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Alcantara
    ...If there was anything I'd like more it would be more distance between the frame and blade.

Burt
    On a two wheel bandsaw, this is basically the diameter of the wheels, which is the primary reason for larger wheel bandsaws. Of course, that gives the blade more distance from the frame for the tension, thus more leverage to bend the frame, thus requiring a heavier frame, not just bigger wheels, and the price goes up.

My G0555 has the same fence problem that Burt mentioned: I can't get my cuts to drift either. Not in red oak, soft maple or alder. Must be defective. Timberwolf 3/4 inch blades is all I use, maybe that's my problem.

Best "bang for buck" tool I have.

Thanks for the welcome!!!!!!!!!!

The saw has not shipped yet..... I will keep checking.

The blades I ordered were:

1/8" x 14 RK
    1/4" x 8 RK
    3/8" x 10 RK
    3/4" x 3 AS-S
    3/4" x 2-3 Vari PC

That assortment should let me handle just about everything from very fine work to re-sawing.

There is a lot of really good advice posted here. Thanks!

And have a happy and safe Holiday!!!

Jim