Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Knodel
    Learned a few new cuss words trying to figure out this joint, but if finally got it. In my excitement of success with the joint, I glued it all together and a few hours latter I realized that I had forgot to glue the bottom in. Oh well on to plan B …. Modify something.

Brian
    Attachment 52310
    So how do you do it ?

Talking Fun time with a fellow Creeker

I went to a buddys shop on Saturday and he built me a nice new cross cut sled.

His name is Mark Marzluf and he has built a sled very similar to this one for himself a couple of years back and I always commented on how well I liked it. He finally got the hint and agreed to help build one for me. He's a great guy to be around anyway.

As you can see, it is a very nice sled design. T-Tracks for hold downs, adjustable to where ever, and the replaceable slide in ZCI insert (I have three). The ZCI inserts are for standard blade, dado stack 1/2" and 3/4".

It is 36" wide and 24" between front and rear fences. It has scales on the back fence to use in conjunction with the stop block.

It was a real good weekend for me. And I think Mark actually enjoyed himself also.

Brad

Brian - I love that joinery. It looks like the corner pieces are independant from the sides. Just exactly how did you make those corners?

Also, if this is a drawer, I think you want to leave the bottom floating (no glue). If the bottom rattles, a few strategically placed dabs of silicone caulk can do the trick.

What new cuss words did you learn ?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy levine
    So how do you do it ?
    They are called corner post dovetails and these were cut on the Jointech system but can be made equally well on the Incra system. I’m sure anyone handy at making dovetails by hand could make them as well. Photos may explain it better than I can. Hope this helps.

Brian
    scan1.jpgscan2.jpg
    scan3.jpg
    scan4+5.jpg
    scan6+7.jpg

I cut, planed, and jointed about $300 worth of wood for a friends cabinets doors. Only to have nearly every single piece warp horribly. I cut it in the cold garage and brought it inside to start gluing it up, which was why it warped.

I was so frustrated I nearly threw all of it piece by piece across the room. So I made a cutting board, which seems to be the only thing i dont screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Snyder
    Brian - I love that joinery. It looks like the corner pieces are independant from the sides. Just exactly how did you make those corners?

Also, if this is a drawer, I think you want to leave the bottom floating (no glue). If the bottom rattles, a few strategically placed dabs of silicone caulk can do the trick.

What new cuss words did you learn ?
    Frank, I posted some photo instructions from the Incra manual.

It’s not a drawer but a small box measuring about 10x6. I think I have figured out how to make a different bottom as it will just be part of the base.

As to the new cuss words … one kinda sounded like ‘dang it’, only a little harsher, the rest I can’t … Oh forget it, you get the idea.

Have a good day

Brian

Worked sat. and spent sunday making my 1st crosscut sled.Didnt come out right tho! I'm off about 12 thousands in a five inch cross cut,I made the fence adjustable, but I'm not sure about the runners, mabye to loose in the slots. I dunno , on to sled #2 I guess!

Thanks, Brian. Those illustrations helped alot. I may attempt to replicate this joint down the road, but without an Jointech or Incra system. I look forward to learning new swear words on my journey .

I finished a oak chest for my grandson. It was my first oak project.
    Earl