View Poll Results: Are your woodworking skills self-taught?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Entirely by self and books

44 72.13%
  • Informally taught by exposure/ working with others

15 24.59%
  • Classroom experience

2 3.28%

Thread: Woodworking as a learned skill. . .

Woodworking as a learned skill. . .

I will be the first to say I am no master at anything, let alone woodworking, but I began to realize how much second nature many basic woodworking skills have become (in 7 years) when I was working with a couple of others.

One of them had apparently been using woodworking tools for most of his life, he almost had his house built (mostly by himself) when I started doing his kitchen cabinets. It started out as me supplying labor, but because I had more room and wouldn't have to move my tools around the sheetrockers, I ended up doing it all at my house. Anyway, he helped me plane down the wood, rip it up, joint it, and crosscut it. He owned all the tools for these operations, and owned books that talked about using them, but it didn't seem to sink in. I had to go over with him about which side to put up when planing to get minimal tearout, how to edge joint a board to get it actually flat. And I would cringe every time he ripped a board on the tablesaw. I think a tablesaw sould sound like a zipper when ripping, with that final "ting" when the board clears the last teeth. When he did it, there was all that whining, bogging, and screetching, then the sanding or jointing would come to take out the burns.

The next guy that used my tools was a guy that had watched over my house for about four months. He mentioned that he would like to make a blanket chest with some cedar I had. I said sure, but that it would be better if he did it when I was there. I don't think he understood that I didn't think he would steal the tools, just that he wouldn't know how to use them properly and get frustrated. He apparently had almost no experience. The cedar was in 4x4s and had to be jointed, resawed, then planed to thicknesses. I told him rough side up in the planer, and he had problems with that. My bandsaw blade cuts smooth enough, if you rub your hand ACROSS the grain, it's smooth. When he ran his hand ACROSS the grain on the jointed side, it was roungh. So he planed the jointed side. A couple of times. It was kind of an eye-opener for me. I have never been in a formal teaching environment, and didn't understand the basic things that might not be understood. His blanket chest came out beautifully, even though many parts of it were disappointing to him, because he wanted everything to be perfect. He did breadboard ends on the lid, miter joints on the carcase, but the really nice thing about the chest is that there are only two small spots of sapwood on the whole chest.
    Almost makes me wish I had made it. I may be prouder of it than him.

So, are you self-taught?

Difficult to vote the poll

Quote Originally Posted by John Preston
    I will be the first to say I am no master at anything, let alone woodworking, but I began to realize how much second nature many basic woodworking skills have become (in 7 years) when I was working with a couple of others.

One of them had apparently been using woodworking tools for most of his life, he almost had his house built (mostly by himself) when I started doing his kitchen cabinets. It started out as me supplying labor, but because I had more room and wouldn't have to move my tools around the sheetrockers, I ended up doing it all at my house. Anyway, he helped me plane down the wood, rip it up, joint it, and crosscut it. He owned all the tools for these operations, and owned books that talked about using them, but it didn't seem to sink in. I had to go over with him about which side to put up when planing to get minimal tearout, how to edge joint a board to get it actually flat. And I would cringe every time he ripped a board on the tablesaw. I think a tablesaw sould sound like a zipper when ripping, with that final "ting" when the board clears the last teeth. When he did it, there was all that whining, bogging, and screetching, then the sanding or jointing would come to take out the burns.

The next guy that used my tools was a guy that had watched over my house for about four months. He mentioned that he would like to make a blanket chest with some cedar I had. I said sure, but that it would be better if he did it when I was there. I don't think he understood that I didn't think he would steal the tools, just that he wouldn't know how to use them properly and get frustrated. He apparently had almost no experience. The cedar was in 4x4s and had to be jointed, resawed, then planed to thicknesses. I told him rough side up in the planer, and he had problems with that. My bandsaw blade cuts smooth enough, if you rub your hand ACROSS the grain, it's smooth. When he ran his hand ACROSS the grain on the jointed side, it was roungh. So he planed the jointed side. A couple of times. It was kind of an eye-opener for me. I have never been in a formal teaching environment, and didn't understand the basic things that might not be understood. His blanket chest came out beautifully, even though many parts of it were disappointing to him, because he wanted everything to be perfect. He did breadboard ends on the lid, miter joints on the carcase, but the really nice thing about the chest is that there are only two small spots of sapwood on the whole chest.
    Almost makes me wish I had made it. I may be prouder of it than him.

So, are you self-taught?
    I voted self-taught but that is not entirely accurate. I am initially self -taught but eventully did some study with others when I became aware of their existence and the opportunities available.

Wolf

All of the above??

John,

Yes. My initial woodworking instruction came from my father. I had two years of shop class in junior high. I have read many books and woodworking mags and I have learned the most by making many mistakes. This being the case, I didn't see a place to cast an accurate vote in your poll.

Bob

I voted self-taught, because that's what I consider it. I went to a Catholic HS and there wasn't the $$ or facility for *any* kind of shop, much less a woodshop. Didn't even own a tape measure until I was about 22 or so! Built my first piece of "furniture" with a K-Mart branded skill saw and el' cheapo Craftsman router and little B&D hand jigsaw. (Still have and use that first end table!) Seat of the pants for this old boy. You did forget to mention one other important source of knowledge, though: WW forums! Often, better than books, IMHO.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I learned woodworking from someone that was like a second Dad I met him and his wife when I was 8 or 9 I watched him for hours building cabinets furinture remodeling his house he gave the bug for woodworking. they moved away by the time I started doing my own woodworking but there were visits over the years and he was always building something,,and when I needed help I would call and he would tell me how he would do it,,,,he passed on in 1994 I sure miss his wisdom in woodworking and in life,,,,
    Mike

Great question. I can't really select any the above options and feel good about it. I got into WW about 2 years ago. My Dad wasn't into building things. I never took shop. I consider myself a smathering of self taught, and "internet taught". Sure, I've read alot of books. I've made lots of mistakes doing things the wrong way.

But to stop short of referring to the immense impact the Internet and BBS like this one has had on my WW would be downright dishonest. I've lurked on this board since it's inception. I also lurked on the Pond. I'm an infrequent participant on another bb. But, I have learned and benefited greatly from the kind people here and elsewhere that so unselfishly give of their time and expertise to help newbies like me along.

John I would have to pick all three and add a few more to cover all my learning experiences. Haveing a good teacher someone who really knows what they are doing makes all the difference in the world. Most all of mine were people I worked for starting when I was ten years old.They all taught me something from laying hardwood floors,to building homes to building cabinets and on to furinture I took something from them all.
    good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment

John
    The short list:
    Woodworking in Jr High School 7th grade
    Woodworking and metalworking in high school
    Stage crew in high school
    Undergrad and graduate degreee in Industrial Arts - Woodworking and metalworking
    Taught Jr high and middle school metalworking for 15 years
    Taught woodworking, home construction, home repair, photography, drafting, etc. for 15 years
    Vocational certificate in General drafting.
    Retired due to lungs filling up with saw dust. Am now back to 90%.

Daniel
    (Addendum 11/9/03)
    Most of the 90% is hot air.
    I am not the worlds greatest authority - that's reserved for Professor Irwin Cory
    There are many fellows and women on this forum that have a great deal more knowledge than me and I only wish to learn for their experience and talent.
    The wealth of knowledge on the fourm is staggering with every aspect of woodworking being discussed.
    Stick around and read and learn. Practice and revel in your abilities to create a work of wonder from mother natures gift to the world.
    Last edited by Daniel Rabinovitz; 11-09-2003 at 11:49 AM.
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

I'm also in the "self-taught" catagory, but like most others, it's not accurate since I read a lot of books and magazines as well as observe and work with others from time to time. I suppose that those activities could also be considered "self-taught", too, since I do them with volition. The only formal training I've had is in turning with a pen course about 6 years ago taught by the venerable Bill Grumbine at Woodcraft and a three-day class with David Ellsworth. In both cases, these experiences were more like mentoring rather than "formal" training. (And worth evey minute and penny!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Almost entirely self-taught. My ex-father-in-law got me started, mostly by helping to mill baseboards and chair rail for his house. He also did some craft-type stuff, which I still do a lot of.

I read anything I get my hands on and watch the various WW TV shows if I am around a TV when they are on. Mostly, however, it is trial and error.

Bill R.

Hi John,

I put down informally taught by others. I grew up on a farm and learned, rough carpentry, wiring, cement work and basic mechanics by watching and helping. When people ask me how I know all this stuff I really don't have a good answer and usually ask them why they don't. Almost everyone I knew growing up could do most of this.

My woodworking has been using a lot of these skill combined with reading and watching as many demo at the picnics and wood shows as I can. I also take a class if I can on a new complex toy like the Leigh jig to help take the mistery out of it.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Paul Kunkel Guest
    I started by being in construction. Then built a shop with no tools but a friend was a cabinetmaker with tools and no shop. I learned alot then, and ultimately he moved on taking his tools(enter Grizzly ca1992). I made cabinets, some furnature and custom work, and during a slow period a stairmaker came to visit. He was looking for shop space and help in building an increasing radius spiral staircase. So I learned more stuff, got rent, got paid for my time and learned that it's best to not work with friends or strangers. He stayed awhile, and I learned more and bought more tools and built jigs and forms. I've learned most from reading, internet forums, and my own experimentation. I like making jigs: anything to make the work easier, more exact, safer, and faster. Success in woodworking is not just in keeping your bodily parts intact, but the joy of creating an item in wood for someone who'll appreciate it and making a good wage while you're at it. And that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    I began being informally taught by my Grandfather (a pattern maker and wagon maker) when I was around 10 years old (1942). The teaching was basically being a shop flunky . Clean-up chores and things like apply the "1 kid HP" to the pedal lathe and the pedal grinder. Sawdust was injected into my blood at this very early stage of my life. As the tool technologies advanced the hobby advanced along with it.

As I got older - the self-taught method was necessary since the "Old German" passed when I was only 15.

I will never forget some of the things he use to say like:

"let the tool do the work"
    "measure twice - cut once" (Norm did not coin this phrase )
    "sharp tools make sharp work"
    "pedal a little faster"
    "go to the coner pub and get me a pail of beir"

A word of advise to all woodworkers - "pass along what you have learned to those who will follow".
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

My dad was always building/fixing things to and around the house. Our house was a one room summer cottage when he bought it for $1200.00 in the early 1950's. It ended up with kitchen, "inside" bathroom, and three bedrooms. I also dug out the cellar by hand and put down a concrete floor over half of it.

Then he got me a job...cuz I was 12 years old and it was time to do something with myself. I went to work for a local contractor and was taught by an old french guy. I worked my way to building kitchens at age 16...until I graduated HS. I then went on the GE apprentice program for All-Around Mashinist...Uncle called when I graduated and I went into the Navy at 21 and have been in and for them ever since. I've done carpentry/woodworking whenever I could though. I set up and taught woodworking while I was on shore duty in NYC for 3 years and had a ball.

Now...I just make stuff and fix this old home as it comes needed. My plan is to have all the tools and time to start making really nice wood pieces...when I finally hang up my day job.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan