Thread: Looking for hardwood in North Texas

Looking for hardwood in North Texas

I just moved to North Texas, (about 50 mi North of Dallas) from SF Bay area. I'm looking for a hardwood supplier in my area. Please help.

I live in Fort Worth and don't know either. Short of buying the expensive stuff in small quantities at woodcraft I don't know any suppliers.

According to google maps, you are about 20-30 miles from McKinney Texas.

Curly Woods is located in Mckinney Texas. Mike Mastin the owner is member of Sawmill creek. An internet search on Curly Woods should get you the URL.

Strange, This is the second time today I have given this info out. Karma, I guess.

Here is a good way to find wood....

http://woodfinder.com/

Curly Woods is a great helpful place to buy from too...

http://curlywoods.com/index.html

There's Austin Hardwoods near Royal Ln. and Luna, Hogan in Grand Prairie and Kennedale (southeast of Fort Worth), Sweeney and Barney Robinson in Fort Worth.

I guess I need to stop using the phonebook. I use the internet a hundred times a day but when looking for stores I still go to the good ole printed phonebook. But I've never seen any of the places mentioned in the book. I guess I need to start looking for stores on the internet now.

Where are you Steve? Im about 10 miles east of Mckinney.
    As was said Mike's "Curly Woods" in McKinney is a great place for figured hardwoods and Austin Hardwoods in Dallas has a very good selection of exotics as well as the "normal" hardwoods and some panel products. Both are open half day on Sat. and allow you to browse at will.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

That's odd, Adam. I found Barney Robinsons Hardwoods (on East Lancaster) in the phone book 20 years ago. Also, R E Sweeney (south of 121, just east of I35) is also known as RESDoor. You don't get to pick your wood there, but they have a pretty good selection of mouldings. Hogan in NW Grand Prairie is HUGH! (East of 360, several miles N of I-30) I understand that they are being sold. The Austin branch is supposedly selling everything at 1/2 off. Don't know about the GP location. Might be worth a call. One of these days I want to get over to Curly Woods. But life may not be the same after that! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Curly Woods in McKinney for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Steve,
    I'm in Trenton. You probably know where that is. I never heard of it untill I moved here. Sounds like Austin Hardwoods is what I'm looking for. Thanks to all for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell
    Also, R E Sweeney (south of 121, just east of I35) is also known as RESDoor. You don't get to pick your wood there, but they have a pretty good selection of mouldings.
    I have found with Sweeney that if you talk to the salesperson, you can go pick the wood you want. I also had a good experience when looking for some cherry. They initially picked several very narrow pieces, and when I told them I needed some wide boards, they pulled down a new pallet off the top of the stack and let me pick what I wanted. I got two very nice pieces with curly grain. It has been a while since I've been there, though. . .

You just found the best source for hardwood near the target area. Mike is the nicest person who sells wood anywhere near Dallas. I need to get out there again very soon!

When I look in the phonebook they drop off by me I find home depot and lowes listed. But if you look up lumber or related topics there are no stores listed but rather say "see firewood" maybe I'm getting "the other book" and not the official "yellowbook"? I dunno, I just know that the phonebooks that get dropped off on my porch don't list any good lumberyards.

Yup...I agree about Mike Mastin and Curly Woods. Great place with an excellent selection. Mike's a great guy to deal with.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.