Thread: which one?

which one?

I need to get something to grind (not hone) bevels, especially for old irons that are chipped, badly out of square, etc.

So, I was looking at bench grinders and saw that there are available grinder/sander combos with a 2" belt. But then I thought, hmmmm, would a belt/disc sander combo be better? Which would I get more use of, etc.

So, if your primary purpose was what I mentioned, which would you get; grinder/sander or sander/sander (disc/belt)?

Jake

Unless you're going to be grinding irons on a regular basis, just use your portable belt sander. As I understand what you want to do, you would just do your rough grinding/shaping on the belt sander then finish on your water or oil stones.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Lots of people use the sander/sander combo

for what you describe, but not me because I also turn. Sharpening turning tools on a belt sander might be doable, but I don't know anyone who does. So if you're also going to be turning, go the grinder/sander route.