Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: economy priced table saw

I recently purchased a used Delta 9" tilting arbor saw with near new 2 HP Baldor motor for $25 off craigslist. The saw needs a lot of TLC, but the motor is what I was after.

Now I'm working to restore that saw for a friend, and found a Delta 9" contractors saw with motor and few parts we need on craigslist for $75. So for $100 I've got a near new 2 HP Baldor motor (to upgrade my table saw) and pieced together two saws to make one complete unit. Not bad, but you have to keep looking. Don't bypass older 9" contractor saws. They'll be much better than any new 10" benchtop machine you find at the home center.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Garay
    Shop around for a Ryobi BT3100. Some have been able to buy them from Home Depot for that price.

Search: http://www.bt3central.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

I have read allot of good info in the last day about this saw. Apparently HD clearanced them out at 199.00 with a 50.00 rebate. They were also taking Lowes 10% coupon. What a deal, I went to HD and they didnt have any more.

Oh well at his point I dont have 199.00 anyway. Thanks for the lead, it opened me up to some reviews. I learned some things without even spending any money

Thanks to all for the input.

Joe

Can anyone identify this saw? It appears to have a cast iron top.

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/249614175.html

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Trotter
    Can anyone identify this saw? It appears to have a cast iron top.

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/249614175.html

do your self a favor and stay away from a saw that says "needs motor repair"
    motors cost more than t he $200 you say you don't have. Its best to set the money that you do have aside and save until you can afford to buy a decent saw.

I agree with Tim, unless you already have a motor or know where you can get one for a good price. Also, if you decide to go down that route make sure you have a good pulley and belt or that will add to the price.

john in birmingham

OK, I have found a couple of more close by.

Any thoughts on either of these?

I have sent each of them an e-mail to find out more information.

Thanks, Joe

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/246104317.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/250310091.html

The first one looks like a GREAT DEAL! The second one, not so much.

The first one looks like a Taiwanese or Chinese clone of an old Delta contractors saw. It might or might not be ok. Check it very carefully for runout at the arbor, and rip a 2 x 4 to see if the motor bogs down. Rated hp and amps on these saws don't mean a whole lot because they don't follow NEMA standards, so the motors may draw the amps but they may not be as efficient and may not produce the HP.

The second one appears to be a genuine older Delta contractors saw with stamped wings instead of cast iron. I would check it carefully as well, but all things equal I would rather have the older Delta. Since things aren't equal on price you might want to go with the first one. Make sure it is not a Delta mororized saw. (If there is no belt you dont want it).

Good Luck

john in Birmingham

Thanks for the tips guy's. I have had one reply on the second link. I googled the name but I didnt find anything.

Here is what I was told;

"It's a Performance Tough brand, 2 hp, belt drive very
    good condition), 10" blade. It's in perfect working order with no problems.
    One owner."

I sent another e-mail for more specifics.
    Thanks, Joe

Good morning Joe. I think I'd hitch up the wagon and go check out that first saw, the 125.00 one. take 75 bucks and offer him 50.00. He said he needs room for a new saw, and you have cash on the barrel. That would leave you 60.00 for a good blade, not a great blade, but a good blade, and still have 90.00 to save towards a dust collector.

best of luck to you and your new saw.

Jim

If you can hold off, and save a little more, the Ridgid TS3650 is a nice unit for around $350. 10% off with a Home Depot card and your down to $315. Maybe pick up a Home Depot gift card here and there to help you save towards it. Same could be done with one of the new Craftsman saws at Sears

#2 The Delta looks like a good deal assuming everything is is good condition. To me it appears to have cast iron wings. A big plus in my book. Let us know what you buy.

I just spoke to the owner of the "performace tough" saw. http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/250310091.html

He said he wouldnt budge on the 250.

If the one with the cast Iron top is gone. I'll keep looking. Thanks for your thoughts on this everyone.

Joe