Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dry weddings - Is this an issue?

A wedding is a wonderful and important event in the life of a family and it deserves to be celebrated. Alcohol is not necessary for people to have fun. Congratulations and have a great party.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Wedding or drunk time?

The purpose is the wedding. Hell, give the money that would have been used to the newlyweds as a way to maybe help pay a down payment on a house! Better that than to some big mouthed booze pusher.
    Christ! Seven years of college, down the drain! John Belushi

"""""
    If all special requests get a 400% markup, then it's SOP but if he hears the word kosher and adds 400% thne what is it ?............... The Web site for the domes says you can choose your own caterer.
    """"""

I'd say it means dollar signs for him, they want something "special", they could have said they wanted a 1920's format and probably got the same added charge.
    Key word is special/kosher/different, I think.

Al...ok...that's three words, sorry....

Oh...you really think he's dumb enough to come across as anti anything?
    Seems pretty unlikely considering everybodies money is green...
    Last edited by Al Willits; 12-14-2006 at 6:50 PM.

My sister had a dry wedding - pretty much just because of the cost. The reception hall was right next door to a pizza restaurant and bar though, so those of us that felt like grabbing a drink or two just slipped away for a few minutes. I even ran into the groom once over there.
    Use the fence Luke

We did our wedding on the cheap, Wife and her mother made the wedding dress, She only had her Maid of honor and she made her dress to. My nephew who was my best man and I spurged for a new suits

Theres beutiful church downtown that specializes in weddings. I don't remember what that cost. Reception was at the VFW where her uncle is a member. Food, Wife made our cake. My brother roasted a pig and brought it. Several other family members brought side dishes. I bought a Keg. Wife picked up some wine. Nephew video taped it and a friend who is a hobby photograher but pretty good took the picturesIn the end we spent $1200 that was 19 years ago on the 12th

Hmmm...our whole wedding came in at less than that joker wants to charge you for just the Kosher wine and "service". (Low key, small, outdoors in Key West with dinner at Mangos afterward) Fire him/her and ask the caterer directly if his/her staff could serve the wine of your choice (you provide) as part of the deal for for a reasonable "uplift" per person.

As to dry? Not a problem in my mind if it would make things easier. We only have very limited drink service for ours and it was just fine. Remember, it's about your journey, not about keeping a bunch of people sharing a couple hours with you slap-happy!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-14-2006 at 9:07 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't know what WI's alcohol licensing laws are, but those prices may not be out of line. Years ago, I did a little bartending at a country club (I knew the beverage manager), and I thought one of the perks might be me getting some good booze at a low price. It turned out that those who serve for a profit pay MORE than you would off the shelf. In other words, I might have to pay $17 for a bottle of Jack Daniels from the store. A bar would have to buy it from a certain "wholesaler", and might have to pay $25 for the same bottle. AT $4/shot, 15 shots/bottle, that's $60, which is a very small profit margin in the food service industry (SWMBO has lambskin in that dept.). The same beverage manager mentioned above is now running his own catering business with a lease on a dance hall/restaurant to boot. He makes the vast majority of his profit from a wedding when the bar bill is paid.

For the record, our wedding was dry 11.5 years ago, and plenty of fun.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Wedding

I think you are worried about the wrong thing, the real expense starts after the wedding is paid for.

Very bad judgement and greed shown here by that man. Very selfish on his part...My daughter recently attended a "dry" wedding (for religious reasons) in an adjoining state and said it was very nice. That guys behavior is way out of line...Sorry to hear this re what should be a happy, memorable occassion..
    Jerry