Thread: Need some desk/table top picture frame ideas!!!

Need some desk/table top picture frame ideas!!!

I want to make a few picture frames for Xmas presents and looking for some ideas. I iwll probably use veneer for the face and cherry, walnut or birds eye maple for the frames. Finish will likely be a coat or two of shelac or spray Poly due to lack of time. (I always seem to procrastinate on this stuff!)

I'm thinking size needs to be around 6"x9" max. Thanks for the help!!!

I kick myself for not having taken pictures before I gifted these several years ago but I made a batch of 7 or 8 for Christmas presents that were a double frame. The idea came from the store bought type that hinge in the middle except mine had a fixed angle (IIRC it was 20 or 30°). You basically make 2 for one then bevel the edges of a pair and glue them together. The backs were just rabbeted out and the contents held in with small brass Turn Buttons. You can get the acid-free mounting paper (posterboard) from art supply stores. Set your rabbet depth once you have the glass (or plexi), paper, and a spare pic. The frames were 5/8" thick maple and I used 2 1/8" thick bloodwood splines on each corner as well as a 1/16" bloodwood inlay on the faces around the opening. After assembling the 2 halves I held them to my disc sander with a scrap holding jig and put a 1° bevel on the bottom just so they leaned back slightly when stood up. I was worried a bit about them being tippy, but I'm not sure I needed to do the bevel as they seemed very stable. I won't be at any of the recipients' to take a pic until Christmas which is a bit too late for your needs.
    Use the fence Luke

This one is Birdseye Maple and Padauk, with Maple miter keys.

Here's some pics of the ones I referred to on Post #2. I forgot that I'd given a couple to friends at work. We're not allowed to take cameras in the building so had to take these in the back of my Aztek in crummy light but here goes...
    PFrame1.jpgPFrame3.jpgPFrame4.jpg
    Use the fence Luke

Thanks guys!! Both are very nice. Still not sure what direction to go and only 5 days left!!! At least I'm half way though with a box that I started over the weekend.

Related question - What have you finished picture frames with that seems to work best?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Charnley
    Related question - What have you finished picture frames with that seems to work best?
    The ones I posted were done with Minwax Satin Wipe-On Poly, but I would think almost anything would work well. It's not like you'd have to worry about setting liquids on them and leaving ring marks or excessive wear or other finish choice issues. Shellac, Lacquer, Oil&Wax would probably all work well too.
    Use the fence Luke