Thread: Help -- Bent BS Blade

Help -- Bent BS Blade

Was cutting some turning blanks from logs this morning on my 18" jet BS w/ a 1" blade, when the blade grabbed and brought the machine to an immediate halt as the blade jambed in the log. I had to split the log to get my blade out. The blade now has a twist in it, enough to make it unusable as is. It is not kinked. Is there anyway to straighten it (heat it, beat it, stretch it ??) or do I trash it??

Sorry, I forgot to mention I tried to un-bend it by gently twisting it back but it wouldn't stay.
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 12-16-2006 at 12:34 PM.
    Tony

Being a good Yankee, I would try to straighten it first. If that doesn't work, pitch it.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Likely toast but no harm in trying. That said, a 1" blade is a bit wide for cutting circles and curves...a 3/8" or 1/2" 3tpi blade is a better choice for the kind of work you are doing, IMHO.

And be very careful working with rounds on the BS...build a jig to hold the workpiece if necessary and never just "roll" a log into a blade for crosscutting...very dangerious, not to mention risky to the blade.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Trash it. Blades are inexpensive and the amount of time you would spend trying to fix it is worth more than the blade.

a 3/8" blade works best for cutting turning stock. It will handle curves better and will greatly reduce your "grabiness" during the cut. Be extra careful when cutting turning stock on a BS. I've ruied at least 2 blades that way...kink and all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I was cross cutting a roughly 6" log, making a straight cut. I think Jim was right, I probably rolled it when it jambed. Oh well, chalk it up to expensive lesson learned.

Thanks for the replies, I kinda figured the blade is a total loss.
    Tony

Next time, place a wedge in the kerf. If it falls out, no harm done. If it gets grabbed, you may have saved another blade.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

You should be able to straighten with some ingenuity. Bandsaw blades are made of good quality steel and do not represent a safety hazard so just take it of the saw and you will see where it needs to be bent and if you got it done or not. I must be Scotch/Italian. Joe