Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: moisture meter -- best at 2 price levels?

Quote Originally Posted by George Summers
    Think about it, how accurate do you really have to be? Does a couple of percent really matter in most shops? Harbor Freight has this one on sale now for 19.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2757

George
    I bought one of these, and it gave such inconsistent results, the 50% of the time when it worked at all, that I took it back. All the units on the shelf looked like they had been returned. Maybe my estimate isn't accurate. Maybe I should say the 25% of the time it worked at all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Epperson
    ...Particularly on non-standard species...Like say Bradford Pear (just to bring the wood I have into it).
    Good point. How do your meters handle the non-standard species? How many of your meters have a chart or setting for Bradford Pear, for example? I'm guessing this is something that separates the better meters from the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by David Epperson
    But where would one find the information to compile the charts? Particularly on non-standard species...Like say Bradford Pear (just to bring the wood I have into it).
    Go to the USDA Wood Handbook and pick a species of the same specific graviity and type. For example, Pacific Madrone isn't in most charts but is a diffuse-porous species with a specific gravity of .65. American Beech, a diffuse-porous species of SG .64, will give the around the same moisture content readings.

As Bradford Pear apparently hasn't been tested, using apple will be close, and the FPL mentions pear wood in it's tests of apple wood:

http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/TechSheets.../maluseng.html
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff