Thread: Guitar Stand

Guitar Stand

My son asked me if I could make a stand for his new guitar.

This is what I came up with. Maple, Cherry, Birch and Walnut. The neck support is adjustable and secured with a wedge block.

I still have to add the felt in the neck support as well as the base saddle.

I like it .... Hope he does.

Critiques welcome.

Regards,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 12-18-2006 at 6:27 AM. Reason: spelling in title

Cool project Bill...there's one or two of those on my "to-do" list. Had to break down and buy one last night for the time being though.

...hangs head in shame...
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

make sure you put felt on the front of the neck saddle so you don't scratch the neck when setting the guitar in.

Cool design Bill...

I've been searching for guitar stand designs and have not seen anything like this. It it your design? I'm sure your son will love it. Not only is it a unique design but it is also very well made. A lot of intricate work in there....

FWIW you could always use cork instead of felt. I like to looks of cork and it offers good protection.

Very Well Done

Bill,

Nice job! Have you set the guitar in it yet to check its stability?
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Guitar Stand

Hi, I finished the stand today. I added the felt in all of the critical areas and shined it up. John ..... It is my design from start to finish. Thanks for the suggestion regarding cork. I used felt because I had it laying around. Aaron ..... I designed around the stability issue by using aft sweep on the support. The guitar lays back at a 15 degree angle which puts the center of gravity over the base centerline. Works great. Tested it with a couple of guitars in the neighborhood. Regards,

I like the holes in the frame. Interesting design. The cradle area looks very secure. I have a 28yr old D-35 Martin that would look great in that stand.

8. Guitar Stand

Way to get outside the "guitar case" Bill.........lots of little details going on there...NEATO!!!!

Excellent design and execution thereof !
    MARK

Great job, Bill...

I was going to build a stand for my stepmother, but I don't have access to any guitars to measure for it. Yours looks a bit too complicated for me to attempt at this point, but I have a good friend that would love something like that. I may attempt to flatter you with imitation a year or two on down the road.

Could you let us know the critical dimensions? How high up from the base should the neck support should be, how far apart the 2 pieces that cradle the guitar had to be to keep it stable, yet off of the floor? Anything else that we should consider when designing our own stand?

Thanks,
    Michael

That's really neat, Bill, I like the originality of the design. I'm sure your son will be delighted to be presented with that - I know I'd be. A guitar stand is also on my ever expanding 'to-do-one-of-these-days list'. Alas, my imagination moves a lot faster than my hands!
    Have a very Merry Christmas,