Thread: Introduction and jointery question

Introduction and jointery question

I am new to the creek, I have recently had a chance to meet a creek vet, and if everyone is as dedicated to ww as this gentleman was than this should be a good experience. I am a finish carpenter with about 15 years of architectural experience, and have recently fell into the business of milling and selling reclaimed lumber, this is interesting and all but it does not hold my creative interest to say the least. So I have begun making furniture out of only reclaimed lumber, i.e. harvest tables, benches, kitchen islands, bathroom vanities etc. I have a pretty full shop and I am turning out some nice work, but for the style of work that I do I need to master the bow-tie for jointing two board together when working with a live edge. Any and all advice would be much respected and appreciated. Jigs, templates, which router bits, or cut them by hand? I have attempted this but have fallen short on a few occasions.

I commonly call this joint a butterfly joint and it is really pretty easy. You can use an inlay set and just plunge deeper for a stronger "key"

Or you can make a template for the butterfly mortise and cut a positive from the template use a top bearing bit . The male plug shold start a 16th oversire and just fare with a rasp to fit... The first method is easy if you are making a few..

"All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Been Sleepin

Glad to see you made it in jason, have a good holiday
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!