Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valve Trombones

Hmm Dillon's looks like they stock quite a few there. I wonder if there's anything like them in DC; although 6 1/2 hours is not all that far, it might save me about 4 hours. Of course, I do have family in Tom's River I haven't seen in.. well I can't remember when.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Aaron, you should try to get along to the NAMM show in January (I'll most likely be there again this year, as a pro-sumer). All the 'bone manufacturers will be there and you can try any of them out (tip - bring your fave mouthpiece with you).

ave F.

I'll be out in CA at the end of Feb; a little too late for NAMM. Looks like a really neat event though.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

As an old (take that any way you like ) trombone player, my initial reaction was....why waste your time with a valve trombone , when a slider sounds so much better! HeHeHe

I'll second the sentiment on Blast. A must see IMO...I described it to someone as "a Drum and Bugle Corp on steroids!"

Thanks for the link to the Stars and Stripes. Classic marching band material, but I've never heard it played like that...I thought double tongueing was difficult, but triple is almost impossible!

Godd luck on your search, Sorry I can't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl

By the way, here is some truly bodacious trombone playing, a rendition of Stars and Stripes Forever:

If you've never seen someone play the S&S piccolo solo on trombone, it's very inspiring to say the least!
    Good Lord, but that's amazing!!! Playing that piccolo line on a trombone is astonishing, and how the heck does she get a trombone to trill?!

Aaron,

I didn't know there was such a thing as a valved trombone until I saw one on How It's Made on the Science channel. They made a regular slide trombone but showed a valved one also. Did one of the young ladies in the stars & stripes video have a valved trombone? I always like rock groups with horns in them. I'm sitting here listening to Chicago's Night & Day CD. It's their rendition of big band music. Picture attached is from Dillon's, Steve the owner, maybe he could send you one of each to try out. Is there a local Orchestra you could contact and see if there are members that play the valve t-Bone and would let you try them? Good luck in you search.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow...The Stars and Stripes really made me feel....lesser. I play the trombone but nowhere near that competency.

I'll keep an eye out in this area Aaron. My kid's music teacher owns a couple stores. I'll check with her.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson