Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shop floor??

shop floor??

this may be in the wrong place and if so go ahead and delete it.. my question is if you had and existing concrete floor but wanted a wood floor for the feet and knees. what would the best way to do so? floating floor like the school gyms have? dont have the dollars to make it wood complty like a house would have/ but perhaps it would be comparable by the time you done what is nesscary to get there from concrete.. any help would be appreciated right now there is nothing so i am open to suggestions. right now in the old shop i have the mats but that makes for machinery moving a hassel. thanks
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

I've often thought about using a floating floor over concrete in my shop...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'll be watching this thread, Larry, as my new shop has a concrete slab that I'll be looking to put wood over. One way I've seen is to place 2x4s flat on the concrete and lay plywood over top. The article I read said to attach these sleepers to the slab using adhesive and nails.

Here's a link to the article but I'm not sure if you need to be a subscriber to see it:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki.../011160060.pdf

If you can't read the article, I can try to answer any more questions you may have.

I am actually considering standing 2x6s on edge to raise the floor up 6" so I can run DC ducts underneath. Not sure how I would attach them to the slab if I do that, though. Maybe just adhesive.

larry
    I used 2x4 on their sides, covered with 3/4 plywood and then 3/4 hickory. you can often find seconds at flooring factories that work great for a shop floor
    lou

Jim & Larry, with the floating floor, are you saying you would just lay hardwood flooring directly on top of the concrete? Would that really give you any cushioning effect? For your feet/knees? It would seem that you'd want to raise it up a little to get that. Am I wrong?

Putting foam insulation between the sleepers is a nice way to raise the comfort level, too.

Oh, Rob, on your other question that was posting simultaniously, many floating floors are put over a thin foam backing material that gives a slight cushion to your step. I had this in my basement in my previous residence and was surprised at how comfortable it was to walk on.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-18-2006 at 8:27 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I covered the slab in our house and my workshop with two layers of plywood 5/8 and 3/8" and then 3/4 Oak flooring. The two layers rather than 1 is supposed to be more stable. The plywood was cut into 4x4 sheets and laid with seams offset. I used 1 1/2 staples to fasten the hardwood.

The slab is radiant heated so I couldn't use 2x4's - too difficult to conduct the heat from the slab.

Greg

Larry, I used the plans from a FWW year end article about 2001.

PT 2X4's over 6 mil plastic. No glue or nails at this point. 16 or 24 inch centers.

Cover the sleepers with T&G Ply floor underlayment screwed or nailed. This is the walking surface. I coated mine with BLO and then stained with Golden Oak. A coat of Poly finished it off. I recoat with Poly once a year or so.

Springiy to my old runner's knees, sharp things stick and don't get knicked when dropped, and relatively inexpensive. Plus I like the look, like a wood shop!

Hope this helps, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

No one has mentioned using dimpled membrane yet. Try googling "Delta-FL" and it is the first hit. I've not used it myself, but seen it on some howto shows and articles. Just roll out the plastic, and lay plywood over it, and fasten down to the concreate. Gives cushions, gives air space (in case of any moisture), and gives a thermal break. Also is fairly thin compared to other methods.

In the local borg you can buy this in 2x2 panels already fastened to OSB, so you just put it together like a jigsaw - but that's more money than just buying the big roll and doing it yourself.
    "It's Not About You."

Another manufacturer is Armtec with their Platon membrane. That was what was used on DriCore (2' x 2' panels @ Home Depot) originally. Now DriCore has a star shaped pattern and I'm not sure who is making it.

If you look at the cost of Platon membrane + 3/4" OSB vs. DriCore, the DriCore is about US $0.50/sq ft more expensive, but it is also more convenient. I think either of these solutions is preferable to 6mil poly or the combo foam and barrier pads used for floating floors.

Another option for floors that don't get flooded, but might have a mild (see manufacturers instructions) moisture issue is one of the conformal coatings, either an epoxy system from Taylor or Bostik, or MVP from Bostik. Then you can glue down sleepers and/or plywood. I'd be fairly nervous about doing this in a garage though.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    No one has mentioned using dimpled membrane yet. Try googling "Delta-FL" and it is the first hit. I've not used it myself, but seen it on some howto shows and articles. Just roll out the plastic, and lay plywood over it, and fasten down to the concreate. Gives cushions, gives air space (in case of any moisture), and gives a thermal break. Also is fairly thin compared to other methods.

In the local borg you can buy this in 2x2 panels already fastened to OSB, so you just put it together like a jigsaw - but that's more money than just buying the big roll and doing it yourself.

11. Endgrain Block Flooring

I read an article a while back about the kind of flooring they used to use in machine shops through much of the last century. It was endgrain block flooring.

Here is a link for one of the websites referenced...

http://www.kaswell.com/

Here is another that I found on my own...

http://www.timelesstimber.com

The last link has some good general information on it, as well, and talks about the cork "grout" you can use.

http://kennebecwood.com/history/index.html

I bet you could find a few more companies if you did a Google on endgrain block flooring.

As with any other wood floor, sharp tools aren't damaged when dropped (or there is at least less of a chance of damage), but the biggest benefits are the reduction of sound and machine vibration and the comfort from standing on it all day long. Of course, the article was mostly talking about much larger machines than most of us will ever have in our shops... but I would assume the benefits to be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Sincox
    I read an article a while back about the kind of flooring they used to use in machine shops through much of the last century. It was endgrain block flooring.

Here is a link for one of the websites referenced...

http://www.kaswell.com/

Here is another that I found on my own...

http://www.timelesstimber.com

The last link has some good general information on it, as well, and talks about the cork "grout" you can use.

http://kennebecwood.com/history/index.html

I bet you could find a few more companies if you did a Google on endgrain block flooring.

As with any other wood floor, sharp tools aren't damaged when dropped (or there is at least less of a chance of damage), but the biggest benefits are the reduction of sound and machine vibration and the comfort from standing on it all day long. Of course, the article was mostly talking about much larger machines than most of us will ever have in our shops... but I would assume the benefits to be similar.
    end grain block floors are still in use today. I worked in a facility that used them. the only problem with them is if they get wet, they will swell and buckle like crazy. I have seen the floors lifted up in sections over a foot in height !

Cool

Has anyone tried a lamanate floor in their workshop? We have this in our kitchen abd bathrooms and it amazing. This stuff is very durable and it looks good too. It is a floating floor over a foam plastic mat. I find it very comfortable to walk on. It's much better than just concrete. Yes, I realize that it isn't real wood and I do notice the places where the grain repeats, but cost and durability won out over real wood.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

There are some really sweet industrial rubber mats that you can place on front of the machine stations with tapered edges so as not to be trip hazards.
    I'd do that before re-flooring the thing.

Have you considered different shoes? A wood floor laid over concrete isn't going to compress much at all when you step on it. Shoes with spongy compressible soles are likely to do a better job of cushioning your foot. Look for shoes called "walking shoes". They have shock-absorbing materials in the sole.