Thread: Arm-R-Seal and Seal-A-Cell

Arm-R-Seal and Seal-A-Cell

Being a high school woodshop teacher I'm always trying to find easier ways for students to finish their own projects. Spraying for the students is not allowed at our school because of insurance reasons. We've started using General Finishes arm-r-seal and seal-a-cell and found it very easy to use and comes out great. The questions I have is storage. Being that is has a short shelf life after opened I've thought about putting the remaining amounts in the can into a clean, dry water bottle with a screw on lid. This way I could squeeze the air out and then tighten the lid. Does this sound like it would work or am I missing something?

There is a product called "Bloxygen" you can use to extend the shelf life of your finishes. I've seen it for sale at Woodworkers Supply. You spray it in the can prior to closing it.

General Finishes told me that won't work. 2 reasons. 1 - you still have oxygen inside the can and 2 - you will never seal the can good enough once you opened it. After the factory seal is broken...good luck getting a air tight seal.

I love the General Finishes products. The two you mentioned are excellent and a real shame to waste. I don't have any great insight other than I've found Mason jars (canning jars) work a lot better than trying to re-seal the original can.

I've never tried water bottles. Might be worth a shot. Let us know what you find out.

Jim

Wonder if one of the food vacuum sealing systems would do the trick. They have attachments for mason jars, http://www.pump-n-seal.com/

Darren.
    I use both products quite alot. I just divide the contents into two smaller glass containers. I have one of those "Dollar Stores near me, and they always have a lot of small jars.
    I don't think I would put them into plastic bottles unless I knew the bottles were chemically inert.

Photographic supply stores (local and intenet) carry plastic containers with accordian sides especially designed to eliminate residual air space and stay airtight. Even though digital darkroom technology has largely displaced chemical darkrooms, you might be able to find them. Also check used camera stores.They're great products. Good luck.

Glass Marbles

I read here once that someone put glass marbles into the can to take up the air space. Just might work!

Another thread sugggested zip lock bag ( freezer bags ).

Personally, I've had my arm-r-seal last a pretty long time in the original container after opening. <shrug> Who knew the 4 year old stuff I used on the rails of my kids beds (with great results) was "too old"? I did have to filter it through a paper towel to make sure none of the crusty pieces around the top got into the finish, but otherwise all was well.
    Jay St. Peter

Try to buy finish in the smallest quanity that suits your project if you can. A quart is more expensive per unit to buy, but considerably less expensive than throwing out most of a gallon. The finish is the last "make or break" step in a project...and it's worth having finshing materials that are fresh.

Yes, you can get lucky and have it cure fine after a long time as Jay points out...but it's still a big risk.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...