Thread: Cm 22124 Vs Sc 35601

Cm 22124 Vs Sc 35601

The best prices here in Canada on these are $1100.00 and $1000.00 respectively. Sears Canada does not have a CC discount on anything so this is their "lowest price of the year". Are they essentially the same saws? If so, why is the CM 100 lbs heavier? For the above prices, which would you buy?

Blog Entries
    I have the 22124 and believe you'll find the 438 lbs to be the shipping weight. This includes the real Biesemeyer (heavy), miter with extension fence and hold down and the out feed table and hardware not to mention it ships enclosed in a steel cage bolted to a steel pallet. That being said, the saws may be closer to the same weight if SC is only talking about the saw.

The features and overall construction seem very similar and of course you're probably aware of the common parentage. Even the power switch is the same. Hopefully someone here has some additional info because I can't say from any definite info that they are almost the same saw.

I had some problems with the table casting on my saw. The help number goes direct to Orion who took care of it in short order. I don't know that the castings for the SC are sourced from the same place. So now that I've given you almost no help except maybe with the weight discrepancy, what are you gonna do?

P.s. Are those Canadian Dollars?
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-19-2006 at 10:41 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have read, I believe in the Fine Woodworking Knots forum, that the two saws are identical except for the trunion, which is a heavier duty version on the SC. I don't have first hand knowledge on this just reporting what I have read. I have the 22124 and am very happy with it.

Alan

The fences are slightly different...the SC has a good Biese knock off but not a Biese brand fence. The miter gauge on the SC doesn't offer the fence and clamp. Dunno about the foldup outfeed either. There's a toe kick on the SC. It looks to me like the 22124 has longer rails...handy if you slide the rails to the right for more capacity. The weight difference is probably the inclusion of the fence on one and not on the other...that outfeed table prolly only makes about a 20# difference. The fence has got to weight in the neighborhood of 50-75#. IIRC, my crated saw stated 405# gross without the fence. I think Sears list the saw and fence at 425#.

The SC has a longer warranty (5 yrs), and it doesn't say "Craftsman" on the front which automatically gives it higher status. When I got my 22124, I could get an in home extended 5 year warranty for ~ $75 IIRC, which would put the 2 prices within $25 from each other for a comparable warranty. My local Sears was great to deal with, but not all will be...the SC will have a local dealer who may or may not be better to deal with.

I've read that the 3hp version of the SC has heavier trunnions (35606), but didn't realize it applied to the 1-3/4hp version (35601).

Last edited by scott spencer; 12-20-2006 at 6:28 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Scott, thanks for those pictures. The miter guage setup on the Sears unit is interesting looking for being OEM...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Scott, thanks for those pictures. The miter guage setup on the Sears unit is interesting looking for being OEM...
    The fence and clamp are pretty nice features...the protactor itself is about average for a stock guage, but the miter bar does have some slop adjustment screws. I've got an Incra and an Osborne so my 22124's miter fence is now a router fence!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....