Thread: Lathe Tool Gloat

Lathe Tool Gloat

Do not go to Woodcrafters----they are having a 30% sale on Sorby Lathe Tools. The store in Louisville Ky. must have a hundred of them ---they got the big ones. Oh yah they also got Router bits for $5.00 each. I aint even going to talk about what this trip cost me. To begin with it is a 250 mile round trip for us. The owner was there and also had to help me spent some more money. This much help I could live without.. Anyhow it was fun to make our yearly trip to the BIG city.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Nice score...my Woodcrafters is only 40 miles away but I find that I can't get out of there for less than c-note no matter what.... Nice scores!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Nice score there Gary.!!! I wish I had the funds right now to get me a Sorby hollowing tool....but that's not going to happen any time soon.!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis funds had nothing to do with it----Plastic-----I have never seen these tools for that kind of savings. In the pic the center scraper is a regular size tool the other two are monsters. I hate to wait until I get my hall tree done before I take them out for a test drive. I hope to be done with the hall tree on Friday.

Good for you, Gary! I'm seriously thinking of stopping at my own Woodcraft and checking out a couple pieces, as well. Don't even have a clue when the next time might be that I'll have a chance to fire up one of the spinny things, but I'll be ready!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I tried to buy one of the bigger scrapers, the one with one round edge. But the sales guy noticed me looking at them and said the heavy duty ones were not on sale. So not deal. Nice score for you.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Scott the way I understood the deal was----they ordered the inventory for the sale several months ago---so the only stuff that falls under the 30% deal is from that order. I am not sure how you would go about get the big scraper---it's to far or I would pick one up for you. I did notice that thier web site has email address for each store--under store locations. When I walked in the store I headed for the wall of Sorby and they showed me where they had three big bins full of sale tools. I know the Knoxville Tn. store has a bunch also---Dick Parr got me started on this about a week ago with his post.

Hey John-- we are doing a show in a couple of weeks---I got about 20 bowls ready for it---hopefully this will pay for my new tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max

Hey John-- we are doing a show in a couple of weeks---I got about 20 bowls ready for it---hopefully this will pay for my new tools.
    Hopefully, the bowls will not only pay for the tools, but give you a little beer money, to boot!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John --most years this is when I start thinking about buying a new machine. Not this year-- that haul I made a Woodcrafters is our big investment this year. It's been a little slow this year (understatement)

10. I went shopping today in hopes of cashing in on some of the bargains being described in this thread. To my surprise and dismay every single item receiving the 30% discount had a second price sticker applied over the old price. With the 30% off you were still getting a discount over the original price but I had stopped at another retailer and with no sale they were a $1 cheaper on every single tool at their regular price. Since I was determined to buy a couple of chisels I bought at the store where they were not on sale and saved money. Go figure...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Foul ---No pics----what did you buy?????

12. Gary, forgive for I have sinned. However I have not sinned greatly for my purchases are modest and dull indeed compared to yours. I do not think folks would be impressed with the purchase of a 3/8" bowl gouge and a 3/8" spindle gouge. Rather boring compared to a man who is now considered a majority stockholder in two companies...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

No sir --I just figure if you are going to bad mouth my post at least you could do it with some class. When there are good buys to be made on tools we share with each other. I found out about this sale from Dick Parr over in Knoxville Tn. Which Woodcrafters did you buy from or even go into.

14. Gary I am in no way suggesting that you did not get a good deal. I was very disappointed with what I saw at my store in Raleigh. All of the tools that were on sale had little red dot stickers applied to the pegboard hook price placard. Only those tools at my store were "on sale". What got my attention and dander up is that those tools also had a new price sticker applied over the old.

For instance the 3/8" bowl gouge was $62.99 before the sale.
    Today on sale the new sticker priced it at $72.99.
    With 30% off the price became $51.09, still a savings compared to the original price of $62.99.

However the other retailer which is a well known supplier of wood working tools and supplies, particularly sandpaper, sell this tool at $49.99 everyday.

I would have been very happy to have been able to purchase that gouge at 30% off the $62.99 price or $44.09.

So at my store I thought that there was some unusual price adjustment that eliminated some of the benefits that I had hoped for. I hope this did not happen to you. If you are happy with the price you paid then you should be happy. I would also have been happy if the price had not been adjusted upwards for some reason.
    Big Mike

Went out to the shop this morning and the lid to the hall tree was warped. Darn I had to reinforce it and clamp it up so I could not work on it today.
    Gee I guess I will just have to spend to afternoon playing with the Lathe.

This is my first attempt ever making this kind of bowl. The side walls are less than 1/2 inch thick.
    Attached Images Attached Images