Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I had to say goodbye today...

I had to say goodbye today...

I had to say my final goodbye today to our Austrailian Shepherd dog Brandy (Calvados Brandy) aka "Wiggles". She didn't quite make it to 3 years old. She has been suffering from epilepsy since she was about 1 year old. We had tried virtually every treatment and drug out there to control her siezures to no avail. Without going in to the details, we finally decided it was time. She has been having siezures almost constantly, day and night for the last three days. I spent the better part of the morning cradling her to help her through. I finally asked my wife to take her away.

In Spite of her epilepsy Brandy and my wife earned several obedience titles. She was also one of the happiest dogs I have ever met. In the brief periods of normalcy she was bright, loveable, energetic and playful, and one heck of a frisbee dog too. Right up to the end. It pains me so much to write this. She will be sorely missed by my wife and I and her "brother" Harley (the German Shepard).

The pIcture below is one of the last that I took of her just a few days ago.

BTW, In case some of you may have noticed, I have been somewhat absent from the creek for the last 6 months or so. I've been deailing with an injury that occured back in June (broken and dislocated ankle, the surgery to repair, and some complications). I sure hope the next year is better than this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill
    You have my deepest sympathy's. We lost our dog a little over a year ago and still miss her. In time you will only remember the good times.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Hi Bill.

Very sorry for your loss. Sounds like you and your wife gave her the absolute best life she could have had. She sounds like a great companion and must have been a quick study to win awards at such a young age.

Glad you are back... and here's wishing you a complete recovery on your ankle and a healthy next year.

John

Sorry to hear of your loss, Bill...our pets are very much members of the family and when they leave us, it hurts. Bad. You'll always enjoy the memories, however, and Brandy will live on that way.

Relative to the seizures, friends of mine had the same issue earlier in the year with their lab mix, Aggie, and ultimately ended up in the same situation as you. It was unbelievable what each one did to the animal and they finally had to make the same decision. They recently visited the local shelter on a whim and found themselves the parents of a new friend...the timing was perfect as a delightful standard poodle/lab mix was dropped off the day before. She's not really a replacement for Aggie, but they were ready at that point for renewing the companionship. You may find that to be true for you at some point, too.

BTW, 'hope you're feeling better yourself...stop by frequently to the 'Creek and hang out!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sorry to hear of you loss Bill. The funny thing about canine friends....they don't ask for much and give so much! We put our last ones down 11 years ago when their health problems became more than they or us could bear. As the wife and I both work, we haven't replaced them yet. When we retire in less than 3 years, I'm going to get another and probably a 2nd to accompany the first.

Here's hoping next year is a better year for you!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Sorry for your loss, Bill. Hopefully that cute shepherd will sense your pain and offer condolences as all good dogs do.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Sorry to hear that Bill. They become such a large part of or lives. We had to put our yellow lab down two years ago and it still hurts when I think about him.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bill,
    One of the brightest dogs I have had was a Border & Rough Collie mix. He too had epilepsy and we lost him after just two short years. It's never easy to loose such friends, but you have seen the effects of this ravage and know in your heart that he's in a better place

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

http://indigo.org/rainbow/

Sorry to hear about Brandy. At least Harley is there to help avoid the empty house feeling, though I'm sure it still feels like there's a gaping hole in your hearts. Thankfully China (my Aussie/Chow mix) is healthy but I know we're destined to outlive our "kids" and dread the day when she and I have to go through what you have. I've had to put down a couple of cats, but China is my first dog since I was a kid. I know it's going to be much harder to deal with than the cats when that time comes. Hang in there.
    Use the fence Luke

Sorry to hear of you loss Bill. Thoughts and prayers to you and the family.

Speedy recovery on the ankle. Nice to see you back.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

We offer our deepest sympathy. Times like this are always hard for those who love their dogs. May the new year bring better for you and your family.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

No words can help.

Richard

I'm very sorry to hear the sad news, Bill. We have lost a few dogs over the years and it doesn't get any easier with experience. They definitely become members of the family. Your time with her was way too short, but I commend you for doing all you could to make her short life a good one.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Doug Lindley Guest
    My sympathies to you and your family. As pet owners we all fear the day when we will have to experience what you are going through. While Brandy was only with you for a short time I'm sure see was a wonderful companion, and you must know you did the right think for her.

Doug

My sympathies Bill. We lost Otis our English Springer about 2.5 years ago and it was heart wrenching. He has not been replaced yet because it has taken my wife Sue over 2 years to stop crying every time she thinks of him. Perhaps the hardest thing I ever did was cradle him in my arms as the vet put him to sleep. I cried like a baby.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH