Thread: How Long?

How Long?

I have a 4X8 sheet of 1/2" plywood that is pretty badly cupped . I cut it in to 3 pieces (rough dimensions for what I need). I then clamped it to a perfectly flat surface. My question is how long to leave it clamped before it will be somewhat flat . By the way it is not Baltic Birch nor is it the cheapest stuff though it did come from the borg.
    Lori K

My experience is that it never stays flat. I would purchase a new sheet of quality plywood if you really need it to stay flat.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I agree with Mike. It may never flatten out. It may be useable anyway if you are using it in a structure that will hold it flat, such as partions in dados.

Terry

Flattening Plywood

I've heard that you can flatten cupped plywood, though never tried it. You supposedly place cupped plywood with the cup facing down, wet the side facing up and let it sit in the sun until dry. Aagin, I am not sure if it works or how well, but it's worth a shot if you don't want to head to the big box store and get another sheet.

Thanks for the answers. I was going to use as a frame for a 3 step thingy to help a dog onto the couch. I will leave it clamped for a bit and see what happens.

Happy Holidays
    Lori K

Blog Entries
    I'm with Mike. I have never had success altering where a board wants to go unless it is to be fastened or captured reliably.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Lori, I think I would simply frame it underneath to help "pull" the cup out. Once ply is cupped, I've not seen it come back flat. The wetting down method may work but, only if that piece of the ply structure is what is causing the cup. However, the cupping may have easily come from one of the inner plies.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Kleinberg
    Thanks for the answers. I was going to use as a frame for a 3 step thingy to help a dog onto the couch. I will leave it clamped for a bit and see what happens.

Happy Holidays
    Since you're not going to use it for fine furniture, is there any way in the design to use 1 inch supports instead of 1/2 inch? If so, take two of the pieces of plywood and glue and screw them concave side to concave side to make a 1 inch piece.

I reaching here but it's the best I can think of.

I hope you and your family have a very happy holiday, also, Lori, and a healthy and prosperous new year.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks Mike. That might be a good idea. I still have the boards clamped. Will wait to see how they look after unclamping.
    Lori K