Thread: Pricing Info on Hard Maple?

Question Pricing Info on Hard Maple?

All,
    I am fairly new to woodworking and to WoodNet. I have learned a lot on this site and I'm hoping you may be able lend a little guidance.

Someone is selling 170bf of 1inch and 3/4 hard maple and 16 sheets of prefinished birch plywood. I dont' know how big the sheets of plywood are, nor the width of the boards yet. I was hoping to use this for my new kitchen cabinets.

Is this a good by for $1000? I have no idea. Are there any good lumber sites that I could check pricing and compare? Or is this an amazing deal.
    Thanks in advance and I hope everyone had safe and happy holiday!

Jason - hardwood prices can vary greatly depending on the area you are in. I purchased hard maple FAS in the rough for about $4.50/bf last year. No one in my area carries prefinished ply so I can't help you there.
    Steve

Thanks Steve, I live near Boston. Does anyone know of any good lumber yards that they have had good experiences with north of boston or in Southern NH?

Hi Jason, I buy alot of Select Hard Maple for $3 brd ft. I havent bought prefinished birch, but I pay $70 for 3/4" 4'x8' prefinished Maple. If you use that price the ply is worth more that $1K. Sound like a good deal w/o seeing it.

P.S. Make sure the ply is flat, some cheaper prefinish has a tendancy to cup , makes it a bear to machine , Good luck.

Welcome Jason

I live in Chester NH so I'm somewhat familiar with the local lumberyards. The following are all good one with a decent stock selection and are in no particular order.

Highland Hardwoods Brentwood, NH

Northland Forest Products Kingston, NH

Goosebay Lumber and Sawmill Chichester, NH

Feurer Lumber Atkinson, NH
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Jason - just a note from my own limited experience:

I bought a sheet of 1/2 inch pre-finished ply once. I had this briliant idea I'd use it for some drawers for a built-in closet organizer I was making for my son's room. Using my Incra joinery jig, I tried to cut half-blind dovetails in that pre-finished ply, but what I ended up with was the wood equivilant to hamburger. I even went down and bought a Whiteside dovetail bit, thinking the bit I was using wasn't sharp enough, but that didn't help. It was quite heartbreaking too, because as someone said above, the single sheet was in the neighborhood of about $70.

Using pocket holes worked much better!

- John

Jason,

I give $1.50 to $3.50 per bf on hard maple in S2S. Seller calls it "5/4", but you have to search to find 1" stuff. The $1.50 is for "shorts", 4' or less which often meets my needs. The wood is locally sawn and from a small mill. If it had to be shipped, I'm sure it would run more.

David

Jason,

Along with Dave Andersons recommendations I'll throw in

Downs & Reader in Stoughton, MA (large operation)
    The Woodery in Lunenburg, MA
    New England Hardwoods in Littleton, MA
    Anderson & McQuaid in Cambridge, MA (another large outfit; better suited to the professional)

All thanks for the info..

Highland Hardwoods has mentioned a couple times. I will need to find some time this crazy weekend to get up there.

Stupid question... what does FAS refer to re: hardwood.

thnx...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Nolan
    All,
    I am fairly new to woodworking and to WoodNet.
    Jason,
    Welcome to SMC, not WoodNet

11. FAS Question

Jason,

FAS refers to "First and Seconds", which is lumber milled to at least 8' in length (I believe that is the standard) and clear of knots and defects.

#1 and #2 Common is generally the same quality of wood, only in shorter lengths.

Do you really need your board in 8' lengths? Probably not. If you can find #1 Common, that is probably a better value.