Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Festool Domino

Festool Domino

Hello All!!

I was just on FWW's website and noticed they had a review of the Festool Domino...I must be living in the dark because I had never heard of this thing before. I have never been a huge fan of "loose tenons" but this thing intrigues me, it would be most usefull on small tables, doors and especially CHAIRS!!! Holly Crap my mind is spinning with ideas...It could reduce production time waaaay down on all kinds of projects. I would love to hear what you all think of this thing.

Nate

Here's a recent thread about this extremely interesting tool:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=Domino

Note that all of the major publications just had folks attend what effectively was a "Euro tour" of tool companies, including Festool, so there is quite a bit in the press about Domino. The tool is tentatively slated to enter the US market later in the Spring of 2007.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

More Domi Info...

The Domi should be here in April, 2007.

Here's a Australian dealer with some interesting details - includes brochures, customer usage, and Interactive Product Tour:
    http://www.idealtools.com.au/category3919_1.htm

If you don't have a dealer close to you, you might want to check out Bob Marino. He's a highly regarded online American Festool dealer: http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Uncle Bob is also an active SMC member.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

And I posted first of www.woodshopdemos.com use of it last Sunday and should be adding about once a week for a long time. It can do that much.

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/fes-sc-10.htm

And this is just for panel glue ups...very accurate and fast but the Domino really will be doing much, much more...and chairs will be job 1...and a cinch for it.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Aside from the obvious comparison to a biscuit cutter, how is this thing better than/different from a plunge router. Is the hand-held speed and agility the major point? Hand-held (to me) isn't exactly a precision-based selling point.

Having said that, this gadget freak is going to get one for sure!!!!!
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Personally, I just don't get the excitement about this tool. If it's priced anything like the other Festool tools, it had better be more useful than my table saw if I would even think about buying it. . . it will likely be more expensive than my table saw.

John, my apologies!

John,

Ooops... I neglected to reference your website.

John is doing a series on the Domino. From what I've read on the Festool forum, his focus is not on all of the Domino's "neat" features, but what you can do with it. I.e., answers to questions like: Does it work well on real projects? Where will it perform well and not so well? What other tools could it replace well?

My guess is that it can totally replace biscuit joints and dowel joints. Maybe some mortise and tenons joints.

I'm doubtful that it will replace most dovetail joints; the looks and strength of a dovetail joint are hard to beat IMO. OTOH, if you could make a strong Domino joint in a drawer in 1/4 the time of a dovetail joint, we might see fewer dovetails joints in applications where looks were less important.

Just my ever-so-humble opinion.

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

There is an article primarily about the Domino here:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...6225395859.xml

Look at Day 3 for one person's experience with the Domino on a small project.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I dont have a slot mortiser but I've used every other technique for creating mortice and tenons. Tenons on the table saw, sometimes with a tenoning jig sometimes with a dado, sometimes on a router table. Mortices with a plunge router, sometimes on a router table, and sometimes with a jet mortiser. I havn't done them completly by hand, yet.

If seems like the Domino will replace all of these tools and will do it much faster and probably more accurately. It will also replace my Makita biscuit joiner. Maybe I can sell all this stuff as a down payment on the domino.

~mark

anyone know how much $ it's going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Eckels
    anyone know how much $ it's going to be?
    In Germany it sells for 671 euros, roughly $820. I'll bet it will be around $850 to 900.

Bernhard

Personally

I just can't wait for this tool. I envy Mr. Lucas and

others who have this baby in their hot little hands.

Frankly, I don't care if Festool tacks on another hundred bucks or so,

this way the money worriers, porch, couch and fence sitters will

stay put and Festool won't sell out the first day.

Even so, I am willing to bet the first run will be gone in a week.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard Lampert
    In Germany it sells for 671 euros, roughly $820. I'll bet it will be around $850 to 900.

Bernhard
    No price is yet 100% set, but will be offered at an introductory price, which is generally about 10% lower than list price. Intro price will probably be in the $700.00's for the tool.

Bob
    bob m

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson
    Personally

I just can't wait for this tool. I envy Mr. Lucas and

others who have this baby in their hot little hands.

Frankly, I don't care if Festool tacks on another hundred bucks or so,

this way the money worriers, porch, couch and fence sitters will

stay put and Festool won't sell out the first day.

Even so, I am willing to bet the first run will be gone in a week.

Per
    Per,

Not this time. They will have a huuuuuuuuuuuge inventory on hand come April.

Bob
    bob m