Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Festool Domino

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Childress
    Not quite true, actually. Only the first mortise has to be exact. There is an adjustment on the Domino that then allows the remaining mortises to be cut slightly oversize (laterally) for an accurate fit. In fact, Festool recommend using it that way.

I should think clamping would be no more difficult than clamping to use a biscuit joiner.
    Bob,

Exactly correct.

Bob
    bob m

One of the big advantages of the Domino as I see it, and as reported by some test users, is the advantage of taking the tool to the work, rather than handling the material to cut mortises. On large pieces of material, the ability to locate mortises accurately and manipulate a relatively small tool to cut the mortises seems to be a great way to do the job. Much of Festool's sucess is related to the concept of taking the tool to the work, in addition to portability.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Many of us have been cutting this joint ever since the advent of good plunge routers almost 40 years ago.

Cobble a jig with stops or merely use the router's fence to cut the mortises.....rip and thickness the tenon stock.....then use a simple roundover bit to finish the tenons and cut them to length.

No need I can see to buy from the current record holders for ridiculously-priced tools.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 12-24-2006 at 3:52 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

I have had my eye on the Leigh MT jig until I have seen demos on the Festool Domino. Understanding that the Domino will not be out until April 1, what advantages and disadvantages do you believe one would have over the other (other than price). Would like to hear form everyone but especially Leigh MT owners and Bob Marino.
    Don

That is true Mr, Smalser.

but also 40 years ago the pocket calculator was not invented

and math was done with pencil and paper. The Beatles released

I want to hold your hand, and there was still peace on college campuses.

We, I believe, have come a long way since. And so have methods of work.

I am in this for the money, you may scoff at the demise of craftsmanship

and chuckle at the latest overpriced fad and rightly so for your applications.

I have followed your work and your writing. But to use a cliche, I think you

have brought a knife to a gunfight in this instance.

Respectfully

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson
    I think you have brought a knife to a gunfight in this instance.
    Three solid pages of sales pitch and fawning, and nobody has even seen the tool yet.

Maybe it is me that needs the reality check.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    Three solid pages of sales pitch and fawning, and nobody has even seen the tool yet.
    Also not quite true. The North American market is among the very last to see the Domino. In Europe and the Far East and Australia they have been using it for more than a year, perhaps longer. I have done the research all over the globe. I know what others are doing with it. It is not a glorified biscuit joiner. It is not a fad or a gimmick. It is the real deal.

The slogan for Packard Motor Cars used to be: "Ask the man that owns one." Good advice.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Be nice, folks...

Jim
    SMC Moderator

This tool is a revelation in joinery

I have seen this tool in action. Mark my words "every cabinet shop will have one of these within a year”. This will not be an easy tool to knock off due to it's unique cutter action and the flawless build quality not to mention patents.

Dan

Wow, is there a lot of heat in this post. I will first say, Marry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
    Now, as one who has a couple of hundred hours with the Domino Joinery System...it is a real nice tool. Can't do everything; can do a lot. When I first started to review it, I thought of it in terms of methods and tools it would replace. One such was or is the Leigh M & T JIg. That is a real nice tool. It costs about the same as the Domino but is very different. There are joints that the Leigh will do and the Domino will not. And visa versa. It took me sometime to get to the point where I do NOT ttry to compare it tool for tool. But I do enjoy looking at woodworking in a new way. Here's wahat I mean.
    Take the basic kitchen base cabinet. You have your way to make it so that it works, is strong and yet easy to produce. In my case, I find that I dado the bottom floor/shelf in place then glue and obliquely nail. The back, I rabbet, glue and nail, the cross members and corner blocks, much the same. I know that many do it differently but I want to build strength into the unit, so this is mine "plain vanilla" approach. I have used the offset tongue and groove with pocket screws that Marc Sommerfeld was promoting. I liked it but it had some shortcomings... doweling, the same thing. Using the Miller Dowel, the same. So when I look at the base cabinet as a whole series of steps, it was easier for me to see using the Festool Domino Joinery System.
    There was a comment about the tenons being so tight fitting that assembly would be difficult. And I think this was corrected by those who pointed out that you only make one mortise of a series tight and the others can be cut with some side-to-side play. (also great way for handling seasonal expansion/contraction of wood.)
    I haven't yet found anything to dislike with the Domino. When I look at our work in term of the broader picture, I find that the Domino can really excel. Take for example a simple bedside table. The top pieces can be Domino'd for panel glue up. If that were only use, I would stay with biscuits.) The breadboard ends can use Dominos and only the center Domino be exact fit. The aprons to legs can be using Dominos and maybe multiple rows if size permits...certainly the 10mm Dominos would do very well. If there is a bottom stretch and cross shelf...Domino's and the drawer can be Domino'd versa dovetails, unless aesthetics are the call. Actually, I am now making drawers with Walnut Domino tenons...easy to make and I cut them "through" so the neat ovals show.
    As I have said, I have had a few hundred hours with the new tool and have done a lot, but haven't come close to all that it can do. My suggestion to all keep an open mind and consider it like any other tool that comes on the market and how you can use it to do a better, more efficient and cost effective way. It is not an expensive tool if it can allow you to do your job better and more efficiently.
    A happy new year to you all.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Gosh. Some passionate opinions indeed. They say "50" is the new "40". My question on this wonderful Christmas eve is, "Is the Festool Domino the new SawStop?"
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lautner
    I have seen this tool in action. Mark my words "every cabinet shop will have one of these within a year”. This will not be an easy tool to knock off due to it's unique cutter action and the flawless build quality not to mention patents.

Dan
    I can understand a cabinet shop, where the quantity is more important than the quality, purchasing this "new" tool. I really don't see it in my future because I'm only a hobbyist who makes a few things each year.
    Since this forum has both "pros" and hobbyists, there is going to be a difference of opinions on the merits of this offering from the popular ( on this forum, anyways) manufacturer, Festool. ( which I understand, has a cult like following).
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that some tools are really made for manufacturing and some are really made for the occasional woodworker and there is a gray zone in between.

Gary K.

13. there is a significant amount of threads on the Festool Domino in the Ubeaut forum, if you are interested.

xxxx

The Domino caused pages and pages of similiar argument on the ubeaut site, and what the arguments came down to were:
    Against - its too expensive,
    For - precision, repeatabilty, speed, adaptability, portability, value for $ (in that in a commercial operation it pays for itself very quickly)

One thing is for sure, those that buy it are going to swear by it.

It may be worth a look at the threads in this site....

Cheers,
    Clinton
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-24-2006 at 8:46 PM. Reason: Remove direct link to forum -- Not allowed by TOS

Wow, I guess I really started something here didn't I...I have done some more research on this tool since my original post..My opinion has not changed much, I find this tool to be quite interesting, lots of options for chairs and of course doors. Can't really see using it for heavy duty joinery, but I can see it for many other uses. As for all the comments about the cost, I can see your points..but for me it seems far more wastefull to spend 300$ on a absolute piece of junk, 1000$ for a tool that will last and hold it's value..That just doesn't bother me.. I will say that this probably is not a tool for a hobbyist, it just doesn't make much sense. But if you do any production work, I see it as a must have. I don't sell a lot of stuff, I am kinda stuck between a hobbyist and a pro..But I will definately place my order in the spring.

Nate

[QUOTE=Gary Keedwell][B]I can understand a cabinet shop, where the quantity is more important than the quality, purchasing this "new" tool.

The quality of the floating tenon from the Domino is flawless. So the fact that you could assemble 10 joints in the same time it would take to change your router bit is nothing short of revolutionary. So if you want to spend more time making furniture or casework and less time fussing with making strong joints then buy one.

Dan